cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

vevi33
Adept I

Random white flickering in browsers and some apps on the latest (23.9.3) AMD drivers with RX 7800 XT

Hello,

I just bought a new RX 7800 XT like 2 weeks ago. I had this issue in the previous driver version as well (23.9.2).

Without drivers (before driver installation), the issue doesn't exist, so I can assume it is a driver related problem and if I disabling hardware acceleration seemingly solves the issue but makes browsing slower. .

When I open chromium based browsers, I have random white flickering for a few milliseconds. It can be really annoying; seemingly it appears entirely randomly when I watch YouTube videos and open the browser. This only happens within the applications' windows, desktop is not affacted!

I also experienced it in Steam, and a similar issue in OneNote.

Windows itself is stable and doesn't reproduce it without those applications.

I tried disabling MPO, ULPS, which decreased the frequency of the issue, but didin't solve it entirely. The display cable has no issues.

I also messed around with borwser renderers, but none of them solved the issue entirely; they just makes it appear in different situations.

I disabled the win11 transparent desktop color, which fixed the the white flicker when opening edge, but it still randomly appears on youtube (not only within videos, the whole browser becomes white for a few ms; see video below).

I don't experience this within games (Starfield, Baldur's Gate 3, etc.).

I also tested the GPU in OCCT (tested VRAM as well) and various benchmark softwares and I didin't find any problem. I don't experience any gpu artifacting.

Two examples of this is happening when opening edge & during OneNote:

https://youtu.be/G7T1eU4lDRI

https://youtu.be/Qr8HQxQYOVA

Thanks in advance for your help!

5 Replies
Lukeman269
Adept I

Revert back to 23.9.1 until a new FW is released. Seems to be the most stable (recent) release. I'd imagine there should be a new FW within a week or so considering they just released FSR3 and FMFG on beta FW a few days ago.

0 Likes
vevi33
Adept I

I thinked about it, but the 23.9.1 doesn't offically support the RX 7800 XT, since this GPU just relased a few weeks ago.

So I guess I gotta wait for new drivers.

I don't experience other issues tho, but it is still weird (coming from Nvidia :D)

0 Likes

Oh dang I didn't think about that lol. 

Yeah I switched from an RTX3070 to the 7900XTX last month and it's actually been very smooth for me. The 7900xtx has been out for like 8-9 months though so it's had time to get some bugs worked out.

Just hold tight for now. It'll get better.

vevi33
Adept I

Update:
Oddly switching to 

"Choose ANGLE graphics backend" to D3D9 entierly solves this issue; D3D11on12 makes it much better.
Obviously it is not optimal since the default is D3D11 on browsers.

I am sure that it is driver related.

0 Likes

Having same issues with my Asus Tuf 7800 xt , my son needed a new video card so i gave him my 3070 ti and bought this one . It seem to flicker more at 240 hz then 170 hz but does it on both monitors and ones only at 120 hz 

Monitors Xb323u

Rogpg278q 

DisplayPort 2.1 Cable [VESA Certified],

Hope this gets fixed in the next driver  it annoying 

0 Likes