cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ejbenven
Journeyman III

Radeon Saphire R9 380x detects 1440p 144Hz display as 4k 40Hz display though HDMI port

Hi,

I have recently bought 2 BenQ EX2780Q, which are 2560 x 1440p screens with a refresh rate of 144Hz . I have connected them both to my graphic card, a Saphire Radeon R9 380x. One is connected through my displayport 1.2 and works flawlessly.

The other is connected through the HDMI port of my graphic card, which is I believe HDMI 1.4a, using the HDMI cable furnished with the screen. Sadly, this second screen is detected as a 3840 x 2160p display with a refresh rate between 29 to 40Hz (instead of 144Hz). The low refresh rate and the scaling issue makes the second screen nearly unusable.

I am very surprised by this problem and was wondering if someone here already encountered it and managed to fix it? I am very puzzled as to why my graphic card would think this screen is 4k. I understand that my HDMI port most likely cannot do 1440p at 144Hz but I would expect it to default to something like 1440p at 60Hz instead of what it is doing now.

0 Likes
0 Replies