My Specs:

- System: Windows 10 home 64 bits
- BIOS: v8.4
- Processor: AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G (4CPUs) - 3.6GHz
- Memory: 16GB RAM
- DirectX: 12
- Graphics Card: Radeon (TM) RX 480
- Resolution: 1280 x 720 (Recommended)

For context: I've been playing Elden Ring for more than 100 hours. Occasionally the game would crash and send me back to desktop seemingly with no consequences, I could reopen the game and keep playing with no much trouble until it happened again.

Rarely, the game would stop, and at the same time or just seconds later the  image would look corrupted, divided in squares like a chessboard, in which some squares would look like the original image and the other ones looked all colorful and distorted, then everything would go black. Most of the time after a minute or so everything would close and send me back to desktop. Sometimes the black screen seemed endless so I would force shutdown and when I turned the pc back on everything seemed to be in order.

- Example: IMG-20181229-210919.jpg (1067×800) (postimg.cc)
(not a screenshot of mine, but this is exactly how it looked, only that for me it happened mid game)

Now my current problem is that 3 days ago the thing with the "chessboard distorted screen" has been leading not only to the endless black screen, but also after forcing shutdown and restarting, once I clicked on steam, the pointer would stay in its "loading" state, the "updating steam" window wouldn't even appear, the taskmanager wouldn't show any hint of Steam's processes, and even my whole pc wouldn't function as it should, the speaker tab woulnd't pop-up when clicked, the windows tab would pop-up but clicking the shutdown button would do nothing, leaving me with no choice other than force it. Once I'd turn it back on, the Steam thing would persist.

I've managed to "solve" the steam problem temporarily, but it was just a matter of time until it happened again and I don't know what could be causing all of this.

The "solution" was formatting my pc, reinstalling windows, reinstalling steam and then my AMD drivers. But once the crash with the distortion happened again, the Steam problem would start once again.

Anybody has any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution
BigPeloConcha
Journeyman III

No overclocking, temperatures never above 70. 
I think it really needs some cleaning and a re-paste, since I haven't done either for a loong time.

I contacted microsoft support and the solution they suggested had something to do with my drivers. I installed older drivers and the problem seems to be solved for now. I had been using adrenaline 24.3.1 (recommended by the installer) and now I'm using version 23.11.1.

Anyways, thanks!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
FunkZ
Paragon

Any overclocking applied to the RX 480? What are temperatures like? It may be due for a clean and re-paste. If temps are ok then it may just be on its last leg.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
BigPeloConcha
Journeyman III

No overclocking, temperatures never above 70. 
I think it really needs some cleaning and a re-paste, since I haven't done either for a loong time.

I contacted microsoft support and the solution they suggested had something to do with my drivers. I installed older drivers and the problem seems to be solved for now. I had been using adrenaline 24.3.1 (recommended by the installer) and now I'm using version 23.11.1.

Anyways, thanks!