cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

edwardjohnallen
Journeyman III

Radeon R9 270 Card malfunction; How to tell if its toast!?

Hi

I have the AMD Radeon(TM) HD R9 270 2GB GDDR5 fitted from new in 2013 in my Dell XPS8700. It's been perfect until yesterday when for no apparent reason it just started to produce images like these on boot up....

IMG_1087.JPEGIMG_1048.JPEG

I disconnected the card and plugged one of my monitors straight into the factory built in HDMI slot and it works fine so I'm pretty sure its the card thats the issue.

I tried all the usual stuff like checking its fit / dust / wiring / rebooting etc. and the results are always now the same as the pics above.

The question is how do I tell if the card is now Kaput? I did try to boot the Win 10 PC in safe mode but thhe screen was still the same when the card was being used...

Any thoughts smart people out there?!?!

Many thanks in advance

Ed.

0 Likes
2 Replies
amdman
Challenger

Seems like you tried a lot of good troubleshooting already. If you have your CMOS settings documented go ahead and try clearing the CMOS and resetting it up, if you can actually read and use the CMOS to change it. Facts are the card is nearing 9 years old, so it's possible the GPU chip or RAM has done its duty and is now just not able to work anymore. If you have another known good HDMI cable it's worth a try even though it worked with the onboard. I hope you can get it fixed, although 9 years is quite a good time for it to work, might even try VGA if you can, maybe your port went bad.

ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

That looks like a possible thermal issue.

Have you tried removing your GPU's cooler cleaning and re applying new thermal compound also replace the thermal putty over the VRAM RAMDACS.

If this works it may only be a temporary solution. Though it may buy you some valuable time. 

If you have an older GPU around try installing it and if the same issue does not appear this will tell you the issue is definitely in your current GPU. Then we just have to narrow down whether its a software issue hardware issue or both.

Your monitor may need a firmware update as well and your HDMI cable and ports may be dirty or the cable itself may be going bad.