Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

michelsardine
Journeyman III

Radeon R7 370 black screen

Hi,

I'm encountering issues with my Radeon R7 370 I bought four years ago.

A few days ago, my pc crashed and I had a black screen while restarting it (with the screen led on). I realised the fans of my gpu had stopped.

I tried a few things and here's what I saw :

When I start my computer, after the first windows logo, the gpu fans stop and I have a black screen.

If I uninstall the gpu driver, the computer works fine (but without the gpu functionalities)

If I reinstall the gpu driver, I have a black screen once again.

Il I install a previous version of the driver, I still have a black screen. I tried with the oldest one available on the AMD website.

If I put another gpu in my computer (a nvidia geforce 9500 GS, how vintage), and I install the adequate driver, my computer works just fine.

Is my gpu dead ? It's clean, no dust, it doesn't smell like burnt component. It has always worked fine until now. The power supply of my computer is a Be Quiet 550W I bought to a profesional.

Thank you for have read this far and sorry for my english. I joign a few screens if it can help, but it's in french.

0 Likes
1 Reply
thedudeabides420
Journeyman III

I am experiencing the same issue.  I have had this card for years in my HP Envy (H8-1414) and suddenly the screen became grey during an online multi-player game.  Grey screen of death (GSOD) anybody?  I ended up installing a fresh copy of Windows 10.  Everything is good, except I cannot update the video drivers for my Radeon R7 370 series GPU. 

The screen goes black and the computer is unresponsive when 1) allowing Windows to update the display driver automatically in device manager OR 2) downloading the newest "recommended" graphics driver for this specific card from AMD.com. 

I have even tried to install old versions of the graphics driver from AMD.com.  Plus, I have attempted to use AMD's clean install tool called "AMD Cleanup Utility" separately and in combination with the Display Driver Uninstaller tool from Wagnardsoft.com prior to attempting to install display drivers from AMD.com.

Another suggestion I found from a YouTuber was to download the drivers package from AMD, extract the files to the C:\AMD folder, but then cancel the installation.  Then, under Device Manager, Display Adapter, I would attempt to update the drivers manually by clicking "Browse...", "Let Me Pick...", "Have Disk" and pointing to the C:\AMD\Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.9.1-Sep16\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\ and selecting either Setup file.  One starts with "C" and one starts with "U".  Choosing either populates a list of AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series drivers to choose from.  Then, I either get a black screen upon attempting installation, or it tells me it is successful.  I restart and go to Device Manager, Display Adapters and the Device Status reads "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware.  The driver may be corrupted or missing.  (Code 39)

0 Likes