cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

alexis1
Journeyman III

Radeon HD 6450 - does that limit what monitor I can buy?

Hi-

This is my first time here, I am not very technical at all, so I'm wondering if someone could help me out please. I have a Radeon HD 6450 card on a c. 2014 pre-built audio computer (ADK manufacturer). The monitor I have (also old, an HP W2082a) is starting to die, and needs to be replaced.

I don't need a fancy monitor like 4K or anything, I've been told the HD 6450 probably won't support things like that anyway. So I'm just wondering - are there any limitations on the kind of monitor supported by the HD 6450? 

I don't really want to buy a new graphics card now because I'll probably be ordering a whole new rig in a year or two. And I definitely don't want to buy a new monitor and then find it doesn't play nicely with my HD 6450!

Thank you for any advice!

0 Likes
1 Solution

I'm sorry but your graphics won't play nicely with 1440p and won't support at all with hdmi.

But you can still use a lower resolution on the new monitor till you buy a new rig, that's the point of my post.

The Englishman

View solution in original post

3 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Hey,
I think you should make an upgrade plan right now. The Budget for it and future parts.

If you see yourself buying a new rig really soon, then its ok to buy a new monitor that goes with the possible new system.

You can run your brand new 1440p monitor in 1080p for the time being, yeah, it can be a waste of money but if the new rig is really coming and you plan like a 6750XT, then its a good plan all right!

If you are going midrange, think carefully the games you'll play or work you'll do to see if the next graphics card can cope well with 1440p

Treat your eyes well but don't aim too high on the monitor too.

The Englishman

Hi johnnyenglish!

TThanks for that reply. I am definitely going for a new rig soon. It's for music production, not gaming.

One more question if I could please ... How do i research whether my Radeon HD 6450 will play nicely with a 1440p monitor? In other words, is there a chance the monitor might be "too much" for the graphics card?

Thanks!

0 Likes

I'm sorry but your graphics won't play nicely with 1440p and won't support at all with hdmi.

But you can still use a lower resolution on the new monitor till you buy a new rig, that's the point of my post.

The Englishman