cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Dmitry1241
Journeyman III

Radeon Graphics 540

I've gotten myself a side laptop as a backup option in case my main fries. It has Radeon Graphics 540 in it. The first day I was playing some old StarCraft II online and FPS was good and everything, but the next day, without me touching anything, suddenly the FPS drops to 35-40 and remains the same, and sometimes even does down to 1-2. In animated cutscenes and in singleplayer FPS is steadily high, but immediately when I start an an online match it sharply drops. Other games are unaffected yb this, seems to be just StarCraft II.

I've tried all versions of Radeon Graphics 540 drivers I could find, I set the game the highest priotiry, I tried setting in Windows Graphics to make it use Radeon 540 by default, nothing works. Also MSI Afterburner behaves very strangely. In singleplayer it shows steady load of GPU jumping from 70% to 100%, but in online it randomly jumps between 0%, 50%, 100%. What can this be? It's definitely not a Wi-Fi issue, the speeds are good, LAN card drivers work fine as well.

0 Likes
2 Replies

Could the laptop processor be throttling due to overheating when playing games?

Also what is the exact Make & Model of your laptop?

0 Likes

No, I changed thermal paste and cleaned the laptop's fans and exhaust port very thoroughly with compressed air the first day I got it. Temperatures during games were around 62-63 degrees on both CPU and GPU.

Laptop is Lenovo 330s-15ikb with i5-8250U, which is more than enough for StarCraft II.

I looked up Battle.net forums for this. Turns out it's not the Radeon Graphics 540 fault, but this is just a StarCraft II engine thing. Many people with much more powerful equipment also experience this, yet others with a weaker one work just fine. But thanks anyway.