cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

37trillion
Journeyman III

r9 390 with lenovo thinkcentre m83 i5 4570

hello i recently purchased a amd radeon r9 390 and am trying to install it in my lenovo thinkcentre m83 i5 4570 4th gen and its constantly not detecting the graphics card. im just curious if this motherboard is incompatible with the r9 390 graphics card my nvidia gtx 1660 works just fine, the r9 390 after many attempts and trying to install microsoft graphics card catalogue for the legacy option in device manager does not return a r9 390 option in the catalogue?

any help would be appreciated.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-MM4HPV4
System Manufacturer LENOVO
System Model 10AL0009US
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU LENOVO_MT_10AL
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO FBKTE0AUS, 2021-12-23
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 1.13
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer LENOVO
BaseBoard Product SHARKBAY
BaseBoard Version 0B98401 PRO
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.1741"
User Name DESKTOP-MM4HPV4\mccor
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 11.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.54 GB
Total Virtual Memory 21.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory 8.50 GB
Page File Space 9.50 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

0 Likes
5 Replies
blazek
Volunteer Moderator

Hello there,

You mentioned that you were using a GTX graphics card, have you tried doing a complete graphics driver uninstallation using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to thoroughly remove the previous graphics driver before using Radeon driver?

After you've done that, download & install the R9 390 driver from here: https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-22.6.1-win10-win11-64bit-legacyasics-... 

0 Likes

If you have the Lenovo ThinkCentre M83 Mini-Tower according to Lenovo it comes with a 280 Watt @85% PSU.

According to this PSU for GPUs website the R9-390 requires a minimum PSU wattage of 650 Watts:

Screenshot 2022-06-11 234746.png

Plus the R9 390 has two PCIe GPU Power ports to be connected from the PSU to the GPU card. If you don't have both GPU power cables connected it won't work plus your Lenovo's M83 Mini-Tower PSU is just to weak to run that type of GPU card.

The other smaller models of Lenovo M83 PC use even more less powerful PSUs.

i have a 750 watt power supply connected to the graphics card directly!!

0 Likes

i will try that ddu..

i would like to use both gpus the nvidia and radeon at the same time if possible.. i will try what you suggested and see if it works!

thanks for the reply, it may have just been a dead graphics card since nothing is detecting the hardware!

0 Likes

hey i tried the ddu and it did not work i upgraded to windows 11 recently is that a problem with the r9 390 legacy drivers?

i installed the r9 390 through legacy drivers digitally signed in device manager but the graphics card shows an exclamation mark and is not being detected although ddu detects the graphics card nothing else does??

0 Likes