cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

d0mino
Journeyman III

R9 390 not cooling properly

I have an MSI R9 390 and I seem to be plagued by freezes, black screens or just games exiting. After a few hours of gaming I've even experienced the radeon software repeatedly crashing. Drivers are completely up to date.

After monitoring this for a while I'm starting to wonder if it's a cooling problem. The problems seem to occur at +80c degrees, and I've seen it approach 90c. Even after installing MSI afterburner and adjusting the fan curve however, I cant seem to keep the temperature down. Fans run at 100% which is apparently still below 2500rpm, and I still cant keep below 80 degrees. 

MSI afterburner has a temperature limit setting, but this doesn't seem to want to save so I'm not sure if it's supported by the card.

The cabinet itself is a well-ventilated Fractal Design with 3 x 14mm fans.

Any advice?

0 Likes
1 Reply

According to this unofficial website, the Maximum Operating Temperature for your R9 390 is 94C: Safe Temp: Search results for Radeon R9 390 

How old is the R9 390? If it is 2 of 3 years old it is possible the GPU's Thermal paste or pad is not as efficient as before, thus the higher temperatures.

This YouTube video shows how to replace the Thermal paste/pad on a MSI R9 390: Changing MSI Radeon R9 390 8 Gb thermal paste! - YouTube 

Also check to make sure your GPU fans are not dirty and clean or not making strange noises when running.

Also make sure your computer case has good air circulation.

EDIT: To rule out the latest AMD Driver causing the issue. Try installing a previous AMD driver and see if the crashes are less or is fixed from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-300-seri...