cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Brystol16
Adept I

R9 390 fans ramping up then crashes my system

So my middle fan one my r9 390 had some 4 of its blades chipped off because it was to close to my capture card. I got replacements installed them and now when ever I open something like a gif on discord of any game they ramp up task manager reports 95 degrees and then a bit later crash. It does this but if i were to look a gif quickly and then go to a different tab it will go from 90 to 70 immediately. I have tried my anti virus software with a full scan and it reported nothing. does anybody have a solution to this I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling my drivers several times and I’ve even unplugged the middle fan running just two and nothing has worked.(my r9 390 is the asus variation) 

0 Likes
1 Solution

The problem you are having with a overheating GPU card is hardware related and not software (Driver) in my opinion.

When you replaced the fan and reapplied Thermal Paste did you first clean off the old Thermal paste with 90%+ alcohol from both the copper heat sink and GPU processor?

If you didn't then the old Thermal paste is preventing good efficient heat transfer if you applied new thermal paste on top of the dirty Heat sink and GPU processor.

When you reassembled the GPU card did you install all the screws in its proper screw hole and it tighten down snugly?

In the YouTube to replace the fan,  it mentions that there are 4 screws with "Silver" springs on it that is used to screw down the Heat Sink to the GPU processor. The other screws with "Black" springs are for the rest of the cowl to tighten it down. If you get them mixed up it won't make proper contact with the GPU processor and thus overheat.

The heat sink was correctly aligned on the GPU card?

Are all three fans running at maximum when the GPU card starts to overheat?

NOTE: Here are a couple of YouTube concerning the Asus R9 390 GPU card :

Replacing the thermal paste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=por_w1OShJ0

Replacing the Middle fan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpfQ9fivHQ8

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The problem you are having with a overheating GPU card is hardware related and not software (Driver) in my opinion.

When you replaced the fan and reapplied Thermal Paste did you first clean off the old Thermal paste with 90%+ alcohol from both the copper heat sink and GPU processor?

If you didn't then the old Thermal paste is preventing good efficient heat transfer if you applied new thermal paste on top of the dirty Heat sink and GPU processor.

When you reassembled the GPU card did you install all the screws in its proper screw hole and it tighten down snugly?

In the YouTube to replace the fan,  it mentions that there are 4 screws with "Silver" springs on it that is used to screw down the Heat Sink to the GPU processor. The other screws with "Black" springs are for the rest of the cowl to tighten it down. If you get them mixed up it won't make proper contact with the GPU processor and thus overheat.

The heat sink was correctly aligned on the GPU card?

Are all three fans running at maximum when the GPU card starts to overheat?

NOTE: Here are a couple of YouTube concerning the Asus R9 390 GPU card :

Replacing the thermal paste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=por_w1OShJ0

Replacing the Middle fan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpfQ9fivHQ8

No I haven’t I will try this and then get back to you. I felt it was software because of how strange it was with going to from 70 to 90 and then back to 70 insanely quick but I will try it thanks for the suggestion 

0 Likes

When you remove the Heat sink from the GPU processor see if the thermal paste you added was spread out by the heat sink or, in another words, check to make sure the heat sink had be making good contact with the GPU processor.

That sounds like a hardware issue when the the temperature goes from 70 to overheating and then back to 70. It means when the GPU card is under load it overheats quickly due to the heat not being able to be dissipated quickly enough by the heat sink.

If you applied the new thermal paste on top of the old thermal paste, without cleaning out the old thermal paste, then that is probably your problem.

0 Likes

Ok well thanks a bundle I’ve been trying every where for a fix and I’ve gotten little answers I hope this works and thanks again