Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

jooseppalm
Journeyman III

R9 380 8GB Random crash and not detected

Hello there!

My GPU randomly stops working under heavy load. Screen goes blank (no signal to monitor). Sound continues.

Some time ago, when it started, a restart fixed the problem. Now when I restart it sometimes starts back up normally, but most of the time the gpu does not even start. I can use internal graphics without any problems.

Reseating the gpu usually helps, but not always.

Today, when I booted the PC GPU didn't start again. But then after a while, the fans started spinning at max speed. I then restarted the computer and everything worked again.

Sometimes I can play for 5 hours straight without a problem; sometimes it crashes in 5 minutes.

This issue is so weird i do not even know what could cause it?
Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
4 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

You could try taking the GPU apart and applying some new thermal paste, a good quality one (Arctic Silver 5) for example..

Give it a clean at the same time, I use new thermal paste once a year..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

What power supply are you running?

It could potentially be a power supply issue

But, as @vialli100  stated, it can give an older card new life by cleaning off the old TIM and reapplying some new stuff.

Check your GPU temps (and CPU temps) when you are under load before it crashes if you can and see what your components are running at

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

UPDATE

I managed to get the GPU working again. 

And I changed the resolution in game to 720p from 1080p.

After that I have not had any chrashes. 

Why could that be? Temperatures are fine on 1080p also. 

Even on 1080p I still have half of GPU memory still available. 

0 Likes

It may be that your GPU works more efficiently at 1080p versus 720p with your particular monitor.

PC gaming is more about finding the right settings that work best for your personal setup.

It's a lot of trial and error and the fact we are going through a big MicroSoft OS transitionary time isn't helping us find and keep that sweet spot.

0 Likes