first of all the PC specs:

R9 290 4gb graphics card

intel i5 6600 3.3 ghz

samsung 850 evo ssd

630w bequiet!

gigabyte Z170-HD3P-CF mainboard

8gb ram

newly installed Windows 10 64bit

so I've had this PC for like 8 years now and didn't have much trouble. After I have moved my PC and didn't use it for quite a while I had the problem that the screen is going black with the PC still running. So first off I started to change from an old HDD to a new SSD with Windows newly installed on it. At first everything seemed to be fixed, but after installing the latest driver it started to happen again.  Then I took the card off from the mainboard and carefully cleaned it and put it back in. That didn't help. Then I reseted the driver and I could use the PC for as long as I wanted without crashing (also windows secure mode was perfectly fine). Idling was no problem, gaming off course was a huge problem without a more recent driver. I then tried and older driver, at first it seemed like it worked. I waited a bit, played a bit and after closing the game the screen went black again. No button pressing works, except for the power button. So now I don't know what to do. Maybe an older driver works, but i don't want to try every single on there is. Maybe my graphics card is dying, eventho there are no other problems except that black screen thing. I also gotta mention that I tried to reset the driver and then have all the windows updates installed that I could and then reinstall a driver.

Please help me and sorry for my english

Kind regards Claw123

0 Likes
2 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

R9 290 is a legacy product and it's no longer supported by the latest Adrenalin drivers. Please check this page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-630

The final compatible driver is available here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-...

Thanks.

0 Likes
Claw123
Journeyman III

Sadly that is the driver I already tried twice and even a third time now just to be sure. I also tried every installing option, the full install, the minimal install and just the driver plus the factory reset. It happened again shortly after installing these. The version before that is also tried 21.5.2, same result.

0 Likes