cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

annie
Adept I

R9 200 series card - lots of problems after recent Windows Update

I have a R9 270X graphics card and I understand that there is no longer support for updating drivers. Since a recent Windows Update (Win 10 64 bit) my PC has been acting up and taking ages to open programs and Windows Explorer windows. I also had the Blue Screen of Death which gave an error of stop code: Critical Structure Corruption.

With no drivers available to update, what can I do? Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

If the problem persists, is it possible to disable the graphics card or use some sort of generic Windows drivers? If disabling is an option, is it a case of disabling the display adapter in Device Manager? Does the card have to be physically removed as I am not confident with doing that? I believe my motherboard has some onboard graphics ports that I could use.

Thank you for any assistance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

After a little more investigation I have discovered that the problem isn't related to the graphics card after all.

I upgraded a WD My Cloud drive over a week ago to a new OS and it has been indexing ever since. I think, as time progressed, it must have put an increasing strain on resources so, after a bit of Googling, I unmapped the network drive's drive letters and the problem has gone away. It wasn't immediately obvious because there was a Windows Update and a BSOD in between so I was thrown off track.

Thank you for your assistance @elstaci - it may come in useful at some point in the future.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

If you have a APU (Processor with Integrated Graphics) then you can disable your GPU card in Device Manager and use your motherboard's Video Output ports to connect your monitor or in BIOS settings make your Integrated the Main Display device instead of your GPU card. Generally if you have a APU and GPU Card installed BIOS will automatically switch to your GPU Card as the Main Display Device.

But if you don't have a APU processor than you need to leave your GPU Card installed to get video output.

Majority of Intel Processors are APUs and any AMD processor that ends in a letter is a APU like G or GE for Desktop APU and H or U for Mobile AMD APUs.

"X" is not a APU letter for AMD processors.

Here is the last latest AMD Driver for your GPU Card: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-...

Use DDU to uninstall the current AMD driver and see if the last AMD driver works normally.

You can uninstall the AMD driver set and Windows will automatically install and use its native Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver until you install the AMD Driver again. But that is a very basic Graphics driver with limited Graphic features.

I would download and install the latest CHIPSET for your motherboard and possibly update the BIOS if it is a very old one.

0 Likes

@elstaci

Thank you for your reply. When I go to Properties under Computer I see the following processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.50 GHz. Would this just be a CPU rather than a APU?

0 Likes

According to this Intel Website your i5-3470 is a APU and it has Intel Graphics 2500 integrated in the processor: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/68316/intel-core-i5-3470-processor-6m-cache-up-...

Screenshot 2021-07-14 172859.png

So if you disable your GPU card by making the Integrated Graphics the Main Display Device in BIOS Settings then you should have video output on your Motherboard Video Output ports. Make sure you have the latest Intel Graphics installed. You can use Intel's own Driver download to update all of your Intel drivers for your motherboard including the Graphics. It is called Intel Driver and Support Assistant.

BUT a GPU card is much more powerful than the Intel Integrated Graphics. Plus you need to see if there are any Intel Graphics driver for your Windows version.

Try installing the last latest AMD driver version for your GPU card and see if it works better. Make sure to use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) with the internet disconnected and download the full AMD Driver package.

NOTE: Your Intel APU is considered to be legacy so there won't be any up to date Graphics driver for it either. AMD Driver at least is from 6/2021.

0 Likes

Many thanks for your help. I will try this tomorrow as it's getting a bit late in the UK

0 Likes

I agree there is a large time difference between the states and UK.

Good night

After a little more investigation I have discovered that the problem isn't related to the graphics card after all.

I upgraded a WD My Cloud drive over a week ago to a new OS and it has been indexing ever since. I think, as time progressed, it must have put an increasing strain on resources so, after a bit of Googling, I unmapped the network drive's drive letters and the problem has gone away. It wasn't immediately obvious because there was a Windows Update and a BSOD in between so I was thrown off track.

Thank you for your assistance @elstaci - it may come in useful at some point in the future.

Good troubleshooting on your part.

Depending on the symptoms it can be very misleading to what is causing it.

Glad you got your issue resolved.

Take care.