Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

DooMGuy054
Journeyman III

Question about Voltage

Hello! 

I just bought a new Cyberpower desktop PC from BestBuy and it has a Radeon RX 6800 XT paired with a Ryzen 7 5800x. I've been trying to play Halo MCC and Gears 5 but the games are crashing my PC with an Event 41 (63), but no BSOD, just straight restart. Last time I played Halo I had my Radeon software up to monitor it before it crashed, and I caught it clocking in 1150 mW of voltage. I think my PSU is only rated for 800 w, but have not looked to confirm. I'm new to all of this, so does this mean I need to by a 1000 w PSU that can handle the extra voltage or is there a setting I can toy with to reduce how hard my GPU is working?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Reply
RPX100
Miniboss

@DooMGuy054 hello and welcome to the AMD community forum.

First of all: I feel like you have some values mixed up and/or are misunderstanding them.
Your 800 Watts power supply should be enough for your system.

Radeon Software will be able to show you the voltage, frequency, temps and power draw
of your RX 6800 XT graphics card - you just seem to have mixed up what they mean.

• frequency (clock) in MHz for GPU core and memory clock
-> which is the clock speed for these 2 graphic card components

• voltage (displayed in mV = milliVolts)
-> which is the voltage draw of your GPU core module
-> do not mix this up with power draw (Watt)
-> your card should reach up to 1150 mV (= 1,15 Volts)

• you can also see GPU module temps
-> make sure these temps stay below 90°C (hot spot)
-> normal temps are between 60-70°C under gaming loads
-> hot spot temps (highest measured temp for all sensors) can be higher

---

Now to answer your question:
When you leave Radeon Software on "automatic" performance mode,
it will try to get the most out of your card by overclocking it and letting
it run at max (safe) voltage and max (safe) frequency.

If you feel like reducing or limiting your GPU to a certain level,
then you can enable "manual" performance tuning mode and change
the settings to a lower frequency and maybe reduce the voltage in small steps (25 mV).

---

You can also use the freeware OCCT tool to check for errors/problems.
-> this tool was designed to stress test your CPU / GPU / RAM and power supply and to check for errors.

You can also check your current BIOS version and see if there are BIOS updates for your mainboard to install.
-> mainboard BIOS updates can get rid of these problems sometimes

Also make sure to check AMD chipset driver version and GPU driver (adrenalin) version for updates.
-> if you do end up installing another driver, make sure to do a clean install with DisplayDriverUninstaller.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
0 Likes