cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Sebast14n
Journeyman III

Problems with graphic. Stuttering, freezing, flickering.

Hello Community.

I have an issue with a HP Notebook 15. It's got an AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics.

The problem is that the laptop freezes every 3/4 seconds for 1 second. All the time, non-stop. Every 3 seconds I get a 1-sec freeze. Doing anything or nothing. Even Im just moving the mouse. It will freeze for a second every 3/4 seconds.

Recently I realized if I change the driver to the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" (instead of any version of the R5, which with all of them I have the same problem). The computer works well. It does not have the problem anymore. However, this setting does not allow HDMI, therefore I can't use an extended Monitor which I need because the screen of the laptop is also flickering. Not all the time, but sometimes it does.

Any idea what could be the cause of the problem? I was told it may be the GPU, but it's integrated I can't change that. I also can't figure how to check via software if the graphics is faulty.

Will I have to buy a dedicated graphic? Where do I found what is compatible with this chipset?

Thank you for your help!!

0 Likes
2 Replies

You're most likely out of luck if the graphics part is faulty on this APU chip. Haven't found any info on the possibility of upgrading to a dedicated GPU for this particular Notebook, so no solution here too. Other possible advice you might receive: clean install a new driver (use DDU), install some older drivers, bring it to a service and have them take a look (maybe even replace the chip entirely), and, of course... reinstall Windows! (because why the hell no, right?)

W10Pro (22H2)|Kingston A400 240G|ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 (L2.71)|Ryzen 5 5600|ID-Cooling SE-225-XT Black V2|nVidia RTX 3070 FE 8Gb|XPG GAMMIX D10 [2x8GB] DDR4 3200MHz (XMP)|DeepCool PK700D
0 Likes

Hey! Thanks for your feedback! Yep, I clean installed windows and even switched HDD.

I run a test that the HDD did not pass and I was getting warnings that the HDD was not in good condition. So I switch HDD clean installed windows. But the problem persists.

Only after I switched HDD I realized about changing the display to the windows basic adapter. I used different versions of the drivers for the AMD display and all of them have the same problem... It's only solved by changing to the Msbasic display adapter.....

I can't even find the specifications of this motherboard (Hewlett Packard 80CB 99.53) to check if any upgrade is possible...

0 Likes