cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

blacklistedbully
Journeyman III

Please help a senior dad set up a gaming PC for his daughter.

Hi all,

Yes, I'm now a "silver-hair" and never was much of a PC gamer to begin with.  But I have a daughter who is into it, though somewhat "technically-challenged".  I'd sure appreciate it if anyone here can offer suggestions on how to set up the PC & monitor I just got her.  Here are what I hope are the pertinent details:

HP Omen 25L with:

Ryzen 7 3700X, 8-core processor at 3.6GHz

16GB (2x8) HyperX DDR4-3200 XMP SDRAM

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT GPU, 8G

512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD + 1TB 4200 RPM SATA HD

Upgraded to Windows 11 (64 bit)

Monitor is an LG 27MK60TM - 27", IPS, W-LED, 1920 x 1080, refresh rate 56 Hz - 75 Hz, with Radeon FreeSync

Running with a 500W  PSU, though 600 is recommended.  Seems to be working so far, so plan to keep it unless there is a good reason not to.

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance!

Kelly

2 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I would download the Steam platform and install it on your primary / system drive (default location).  Before loading any games though, she needs a Steam account, so create that.  Also - very important - set the games drive to your 1 TB drive.  You don’t want the games to fill up your system drive.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
blacklistedbully
Journeyman III

Thank you.  How does one set the games drive to be the SATA HD, and does that still allow the game to be run via the much faster speed of the ssd?

0 Likes