cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

papawshane
Adept II

PCIe 3.0 showing as 2.0

I hope I am posting in the right place. I went through the knowledge base and couldn't really get an answer.

I am older and did my first build in probably 15 or more years. So many things have changed, I tried to study, to learn and make the best decisions I could.

I have a RX 5700 XT, it's the Thicc 3 card if that makes a difference. I have it seated in the PCIe 3.0 slot.  In GPU-Z and the AMD driver software, it's showing it at 2.0. I rechecked to make sure I had it in the right place, and I do. I went into the UEFI to make sure it was set on Gen 3 and it was. Am I missing something, or overlooked something that I need to change, or maybe change back, I honestly don't know.

My Setup (It's nothing special as I had to build on a budget)

AMD Ryzen 7 3800x

32GB dual channel DDR 4 3200mhz ram

Thicc 3 RX 5700 XT 8gb GPU

ASRock BM450Pro 4 MB

1TB SSD with 2 - 2TB HDDs

Thanks for your help and let me know if I need to post more info. As I said, my first build in a very long time. I use to be very good at this, and knowledgeable, but things have changed a bit since back then.

PapawShane

0 Likes
2 Solutions
papawshane
Adept II

Well, prepare to make fun of an old man haha.

I figured it out, not long after making this post, and I feel stupid.

As I was building this rig, I knew the card was PCIe 4.0 and when adding it to the board, I only saw 3 PCIe slots 1-3.

In my mind, for whatever reason, I thought because the first one said PCIe 1 that meant 1.0. But there were only 3, so in my mind again, I thought I could only get to PCIe 3.0. So I was bummed when I noticed I was only at 2.0.

So, that's why I came here and made the post. I began to search it out, something I guess I should've done when I put it together, and realized how wrong I was. I found the right one, switched the card, rebooted and now GPU-Z is showing the right PCIe @x16. So this post can be discarded, or used to laugh at me haha, which is totally fine.

View solution in original post

I was about to mention which slot you installed the GPU Card because according to your ASRock Motherboard Spec you only have one PCIe x 16 3.0 slot and the rest are PCIe x 16 2.0 slots: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450m%20Pro4/

Screenshot 2021-11-09 105732.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
papawshane
Adept II

Well, prepare to make fun of an old man haha.

I figured it out, not long after making this post, and I feel stupid.

As I was building this rig, I knew the card was PCIe 4.0 and when adding it to the board, I only saw 3 PCIe slots 1-3.

In my mind, for whatever reason, I thought because the first one said PCIe 1 that meant 1.0. But there were only 3, so in my mind again, I thought I could only get to PCIe 3.0. So I was bummed when I noticed I was only at 2.0.

So, that's why I came here and made the post. I began to search it out, something I guess I should've done when I put it together, and realized how wrong I was. I found the right one, switched the card, rebooted and now GPU-Z is showing the right PCIe @x16. So this post can be discarded, or used to laugh at me haha, which is totally fine.

I was about to mention which slot you installed the GPU Card because according to your ASRock Motherboard Spec you only have one PCIe x 16 3.0 slot and the rest are PCIe x 16 2.0 slots: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450m%20Pro4/

Screenshot 2021-11-09 105732.png

Yeah, I realized that once I actually began to read about it. It was my first build in a very long time, I didn't really understand all the ends and outs of some of the newer stuff, I was totally just not prepared really. Once I realized what had happened, I felt pretty stupid for making this post haha. I was like, I totally goofed up on something that no self respecting nerd would.

Works out good though, this place looks to be a place where I can learn and grow some knowledge, which apparently I need haha. I have been strictly AMD since the K-6, so I landed in the right place haha.

Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it!

0 Likes

That is how Users learn. Through trial and error methods.

Besides someone with a lot of experience can easily make the same mistake you did. Sometimes Users forget the most obvious when troubleshooting.

Yeah, after all these years, I feel like I am learning all over again haha.