Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

MontyKarlo
Adept I

Overheating 6900xt and shutting down

Hi,

Long story short didnt really notice anything in the beggining when i got the card but after playing deep rock for a good minute my pc shut down, i touched my rig and it was burning to the touch, opened it up and noticed the cause was the graphics card, opened up amd software and booted deep rock again, the junction temp went from 60° idle to 111° in a matter of seconds, and finally shutting down the pc again, ended up using radeon chill because i noticed it ran games at a ridiculous fps levels and that seemed to have fixed it but now i got a 2k monitor at 144hz and the problem seems to be coming back, i undervolted it and again seems to be better but for some reason when i start up games it it goes up to like 300 fps before radeon chill kicks in i feel like in the long run that wont do it, bought thermal paste aswell because i heard it could be a pasting issue but im still hesitant on opening it on my own since im sadly not as tech savvy as i want to be, any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

What are the specs of your system? They can help diagnose issues.

If you are one hundred percent convinced that the GPU is the issue, and want to repaste it and get new thermal pads, that is a great option. 

To find a guide, you would need to provide the GPU make and model. Maybe someone on here has already done a teardown and repaste. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

View solution in original post

7 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

What are the specs of your system? They can help diagnose issues.

If you are one hundred percent convinced that the GPU is the issue, and want to repaste it and get new thermal pads, that is a great option. 

To find a guide, you would need to provide the GPU make and model. Maybe someone on here has already done a teardown and repaste. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6 core, 16GB RAM 3600Mhz, AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT, ASUSTek Computer Inc. PRIME B550M-A motherboard, sadly im not sure about the PSU

0 Likes

Some game engines have runaway fps in loading/game menu.

Use ingame vsync or cap it with FRTC. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Definitely a good solution thanks for pointing that out to me never noticed that before

I have a different issue with my system, not getting anything over 60 FPS, however at first I did get 200-300 fps and temps were hitting 80-95c on card and junction. What I did to cool the card was go into Performance, and then tuning. I clicked on GPU Custom and then did this.

LashedToaDoorTwice_0-1689377870730.png

As you can see I turned on Fan Tuning, turned off Zero RPM Enabled Advanced Control, and then moved the points where I wanted the fans speed to be at set temperatures. This dropped my temps down from 80-90c to 50-60c. The higher the fan speed at lower temps the better if its getting to hot when its at 62c (where Zero RPM cuts in)

kev22750
Journeyman III

I turned the fan speed up and removed the Zero speed. This means the fans start at 50% speed and then increase when the temperature increases. When it gets to 62c I am already at 80% speed and 100% at about 70c

I run no more than 65c to 70c in the most hard game I play.

0 Likes