cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

cato44
Journeyman III

No display with new Radeon 6800

I'm plugging it in the exact same port as my geforce 1060 which works perfectly, also tried a couple of hdmi cables and tv's.

I ran the ddu driver uninstaller just in case it was a driver conflict. 

I've also plugged the hdmi cable into the MB with the new gpu plugged in and booted into windows with a display no problem. New gpu doesn't show in device manager though, also tried downloading and installing the latest Radeon drivers but after running the software it states it cant find a Radeon card installed so doesn't install. The new gpu which is still plugged in to the MB is all still lit up while I'm doing all that above so there's definitely power getting to it.

My MB is a z270x- gaming 7 with bios version F8 dated 11/30/2017

Any ideas?

0 Likes
5 Replies

Did you check in Bios that the correct gpu is getting called up, reason you mentioned it gave signal from Mobo, so most likely in mobo check and set to correct gpu and not the i-gpu.
Good luck and report back.

0 Likes
digipointer0
Adept III

• 1st, if possible, test the GPU in another system or try a different PCIe slot on your current motherboard. This can help determine if the issue is with the GPU itself or another component.
  • Double-check that the GPU is compatible with your motherboard. While PCIe is generally standardized, some GPUs may have specific requirements.
  • If you have access to another PC with a compatible slot, try testing the GPU there to ensure it's functioning correctly.

• If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it might be a hardware problem with the GPU. Contact the manufacturer's support for further assistance or consider returning or replacing the GPU.
0 Likes
cato44
Journeyman III

Bios setting is pcie slot 3 which is where my Geforce 1060 is plugged in and working now. I have tried different slots but if my 1060 is working in the 3rd slot then I see no reason why the Radeon wouldn't either.

I cant find any info saying this gpu isn't compatible with my MB but who knows.

I've already returned the new gpu to where I bought it from but they've returned it saying they tested it and it works ok.

I've never had any issues with gpu's since I started building pc's in the early 2000's so its a strange/frustrating one. It's my 1st Radeon card in around 20 years as well so maybe I'm being punished for ditching nvidia lol

0 Likes

Hmm you mention that you have the card in the 3rd slot,most likely x4?  you need the top at least for this card you need the x16 which should be 1st slot, you are already starving it by only having pci3 so putting it in the x4 slot does not help.
Not saying it's the issue as ,most times will work but a bit slower
Card uses: pci 4.0
your mobo has pci 3.0
Also in the mobo Bios under chipset you have a Internal graphics most likely set to auto, see if you can change and try the other options, don't know which they are so can't really tell you but give it a try.

0 Likes
cato44
Journeyman III

Yep I've been using the x16 for the new gpu which is also the same slot as my working 1060 uses.

I've been told by support that even though the gpu lights up its a power issue as the Radeon 6800 needs 3 power connectors and not just the 2 I have

A quick search on google provides this info

How many pins does the Radeon 6800 have?

Being a dual-slot card, the AMD Radeon RX 6800 draws power from 2x 8-pin power connectors, with power draw rated at 250 W maximum. Display outputs include: 1x HDMI 2.1, 2x DisplayPort 1.4a, 1x USB Type-C. Radeon RX 6800 is connected to the rest of the system using a PCI-Express 4.0 x16 interface.

Can someone tell me how many power cables they have plugged in they're 6800? Its not the XT version its the basic 6800.

I only have a cable (type 3) with 2 power connectors ( 2 x 6 + 2)  I did buy another pcie cable which fits in the gpu ok but doesn't fit in my corsair psu.

The cable i bought is this 

COMeap ATX CPU 8 Pin Male to Dual PCIe 2X 8 Pin (6+2) Male Power Adapter Cable for Corsair Modular Power Supply 25-inch+9-inch (63cm+23cm)

If it is a power/cable issue then what cable to do need to buy? I'm buying online so I want to get the right cable this time if that is indeed what the issue is.

0 Likes