PC Specs

Ryzen 5 3600

Asus Tuff Gaming B450 Pro MB

512 Klevv NVME

16GB 3200mhz Corsair dominator Ram

Radeon 6700xt Card

Antec 700w Power Supply(80Plus)

Good Day,

I've been having a weird issue the last two days. 

When powering on my PC it just shows no display, as if the Screen is not picking up the source. It does not even show the bios menu. At 1st I though faulty GPU but now I am thinking it might be the PSU. 

I've done the below to troubleshoot in the sequence.

1)Installed an old GTX 650ti - This showed display no problem

2)Swapped screens and HDMI Cables - With the Radeon card no display, with the 650ti it gets display

3)Completely reloaded windows

4)Reinstalled the 6700xt and swapped the  2 * (2+6) PCIE power cables - All of a sudden display

5)Reinstalled all the drivers and software/games, display without issues, with multiple reboots

6)Turn PC off and leave it off for 5 minutes. When turning it on again it has no display again. 

7)Fiddled with the cables as the 2 pins were quite bent - Display again!

8)Turn PC off, and next morning no display.

9)Fiddled with the cables, turn it on no display.

10)Left it on for 5 minutes and waited for the monitor to go to sleep(It goes to sleep if no source is detected for 5 minutes)

11)Turn monitor on and Display again, but had to reinstall the drivers(I switched the PC on and off quite a few times so think the drivers got corrupted.

12)PC has been on for 5 hours without any issues, ran multiple stress tests with both the Radeon Adrenaline software and heaven benchmark and no issues. Played Hogwarts Legacy and no issues. Put the PC to sleep and No issues. 

But now I am scared to turn it off lol. I suspect it is the PSU as to display came back after fiddling with the cables. So I ordered a new PSU.

Does anyone know what could be the issue? 

Kind Regards 

0 Likes
1 Reply
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

If you have another system to test the GPU in just for curiosity sake I would replicate exactly what I did with the problem system. The next thing I would do is remove the PSU and look at the connections to the PSU from the PCIe cables, provided it is a modular unit. I would examine for any signs of melting and corrosion.

If you find no corrosion you can also purchase a tool called Dr. Power that you plug the PSU cables into and it tests the PSU for issues. If it finds issues it alerts you, and you can do with the faulty PSU whatever you want.

Good luck with the new PSU since you ordered it, but you should look into the Dr. Power tool. It saved me from getting rid of a perfectly fine PSU, when the problem was the motherboard a few months ago.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes