cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Yerfedr
Journeyman III

New 6700 xt FANS died within few hours of usage

Hello, I've just received my New 6700 XT.

Installed it correctly (I'm quiet experienced..)

After few Fortnite sessions pc crushed , no GPU signal.

Restarted, after another ~hour of gaming sessions PC crashed again , this time with slight bad smoky odor (Not 100% sure it was that.. maybe some dust warming..).

Now, fans won't start at all but *GPU STILL WORKS* - very weird.

it would let me play for few minutes before thermally shutting down as fans don't work at all.

I have tried everything, DDU, another PC, repluggin everything, remounting GPU fan connectors, Older drivers, slight air blowing. NOTHING WORKS!

Please help me figure it out , I know about RMA/Returning option.. ( would do if no solution.)

Thanks!

0 Likes
11 Replies
Dragokar
Miniboss

To make it simple. Just RMA it and take picture when still installed and afterward.

0 Likes

Thanks for the answer, just wondering why to take picture when still installed and afterward?

0 Likes
FunkZ
Paragon

With the system powered off, check if the fans spin freely. If there is resistance then the fan(s) have failed.

Note that the 6700XT (and many other reference models) have a zero rpm fan speed default when under light or no load. If you game at lower resolutions like 1080p Fortnite does not put much of a load on the GPU. Open the Adrenalin software and go to the Performance, Tuning page. If the preset is on Default or Quiet, try using Balanced. That should turn the fans on at a lower temperature.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

He shouldn't tinker with it after smoke odor.....

0 Likes

The OP has already "tinkered" with it and is asking for help troubleshooting. Also stated wasn't sure if smoke odor or dusty hot smell. Just because the fans aren't turning doesn't mean the card is dead. Worth checking why the fans aren't turning before opting to RMA the card.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

Well:

I have tried everything, DDU, another PC, repluggin everything, remounting GPU fan connectors, Older drivers, slight air blowing. NOTHING WORKS!

This is pretty much he can do and did.

0 Likes

Hi sir, 

You seem very professional and knowledgeable, I'm very interested to hear your answer regarding my last reply to your message here.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Thanks for your professional answer, 

What's weird is , I tried to connect the fans of my GTX 1060 to the 6700xt and these fans DO work, but without the Tachometer(?) the rpm reading ( Shows 0 RPM) but they do spin.

The original 6700 XT's fans are not locked when spinning by hand ( Obviously when GPU is running)

I think It's some part in the AIB that controls the fans? as it does work with another fans although doesn't monitor Fan RPM

I have no Idea why this is? what could be the cause for that based on my story?

Could it somehow be caused because of a Tier 3 Low Priority PSU? Or maybe a decent MOBO?

As I'm afraid my pc fried the GPU so RMAing would yield the same death, although GPU DOES work perfectly it's only the fans which don't..

Thanks.

0 Likes

Well you tested the card in another rig and it also does not spin the fans under load if I recall corectly? If you want to exclude any software or windows driver issue reinstall or us e live linux via USB. I would already open the RMA.

0 Likes

I tried switching systems , still the same, I guess RMA is the option.

Do you maybe know why did it happen? could it be the Tier 3 PSU that somehow fried only the Fan controller on the 6700XT's AIB? despite card clocks well..

0 Likes

Could have many issues. Wrong cables, power surge, bad quality management, bad luck.

0 Likes