cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

outsidefactor
Journeyman III

My ASUS TUF 6700XT keeps black-screening under low load, please help

My 6700XT has developed an issue, though for all I know it was capable of doing it from day 1.

Under very low load the screen will freeze for about 10 seconds, go black, then come back. When running Xorg it will show a frozen frame from before the screen went black, under Wayland I get a new desktop.

I have asked over and over and over in forum after forum for help. How do I solve this? It's fine if I leave a game running 24/7, but the moment I try and use it as a normal desktop for some web browsing or editing a document it suddenly starts being hideously unreliable.

How do I diagnose this? Is there a VBIOS update? Is this the same old bug from a couple of years ago raising its head again on new GPUs?

What should I do next?

Here's my system specs:
System:
 Host: telperion Kernel: 5.16.2-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64
   Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.23.5 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:
 Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: X570 AORUS ULTRA v: -CF
   serial: <superuser required>
 Mobo: Gigabyte model: X570 AORUS ULTRA v: x.x
   serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: F32
   date: 01/18/2021
CPU:
 Info: 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 3700X [MT MCP] speed (MHz): avg: 2460
   min/max: 2200/4426
Graphics:
 Device-1: AMD Navi 22 [Radeon RX 6700/6700 XT / 6800M] driver: amdgpu
   v: kernel
 Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.21.1.3 driver: loaded: amdgpu,ati
   unloaded: modesetting,radeon resolution: 1: 3440x1440~75Hz
   2: 1920x1080~120Hz
 OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT (NAVY_FLOUNDER DRM 3.44.0
   5.16.2-1-MANJARO LLVM 13.0.0)
   v: 4.6 Mesa 21.3.4
Network:
 Device-1: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 driver: iwlwifi
 Device-2: Intel I211 Gigabit Network driver: igb
Drives:
 Local Storage: total: 10.7 TiB used: 8.95 TiB (83.6%)
Info:
 Processes: 433 Uptime: 11m Memory: 62.81 GiB used: 8.53 GiB (13.6%)
 Shell: Zsh inxi: 3.3.12

0 Likes
7 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

Try turning off enhanced sync in Adrenalin, see if that helps..

Also, you have a really old bios and should update it to F35b on manufacturers website.. 

X570 AORUS ULTRA (rev. 1.0) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes
Geforsikus_2021
Challenger

It is possible that the problem with the monitor or with the connection cable, as I understand you have 2 monitors, if it appears on one, try changing the cable or the port itself, it is advisable to use the display port and hdmi. either both hdmi. As an option, turn off the monitor with the button, and pull the cord out of the socket, then plug it back in and turn it on. And try another monitor, maybe the problem is not in the video card.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I had wondered if it might be a bad cable or something similar. Worth replacing them on spec.

Not sure what you mean by "it is advisable to use the display port and hdmi. either both hdmi." Do you mean I shouldn't use two DipsplayPort monitors, I should switch one (or both?) to HDMI?

That won't work for either monitor: on my main monitor, using the HDMI doesn't have the full bandwidth to run at 3440x1440@75, and on the second monitor (which is an older one) it doesn't support running @120Hz on HDMi.

And it's odd that it only happens at low load... I would think that a bad cable would cause random drop outs. I am not discounting the suggesting: if nothing else, replacing a cable or two is cheaper than replacing a monitor.

I am ordering two new certified DisplayPort cables now. We'll see if that fixes the issue!

0 Likes

Let's clarify you have two monitors connected to a video card, (1:3440x1440~75 Hz
2: 1920x1080~120 Hz) ? or it's just monitor modes.) If there are two monitors, then try to use one of them, first play on one, then connect the other. I don't rummage in linux distributions, so I can't tell where to look at (event viewing) logs, applications and systems, a real-time log is kept on windows if any error occurs, it is immediately recorded in the log, and by this error you can understand what exactly caused the problem.

0 Likes
hlaks
Adept I

My graphics card was having issues just like this that slowly developed.  My card would black out occasionally when I would be doing normal tasks but seemed to work fine most of the time.  Eventually it would black out when ever I would open up any game.  Ultimately I called support and they helped find a solution.

1.  I turned off the computer and unplugged it from the wall,  pressed the power button for a couple seconds to discharge any electricity. I carefully unplugged the graphics card from the pcie slot and then plugged it back in.  With the power supply still unplugged from the wall I followed step 2. 

2.  I replugged in the the power cable to the graphics card.  If you have a modular power supply double check that the cables are plugged in the right way.

3.  Turn back on the computer and Uninstall and reinstall the driver for your card.  

4.  If those things don't work another option is to call the amd support line for the card and go through trouble shooting with them.  Support can look at logs to help diagnose the issue. 

0 Likes
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Check the PCIE interface on your GPU for defects.

Yesterday a similar issue was solved with a 5700XT series card it had small bits missing from the interface that the OP couldn't readily see but could feel.

I've checked around and this seems to be a common defect with ASUS series 5600 5700 6600 and 6700 GPU's.

Invidia has been facing similar issues as well.

My guess is that the current freight glut of cargo vessels off the west coast is leaving a lot of goods exposed to hot wet salty atmosphere. We all know that moisture heat and salt are very bad for electronics. Not saying this is the cause but this freight problem has been going on for 2 years we're going to see a lot of defective products for a while. My advice do not purchase refurbs reconditioned or open box items only new. 

0 Likes
g_code912
Adept I

Did you find a fix mine does it during gaming turning off freesync seems to help but would rather play with it on

0 Likes