cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

olethros
Adept I

MSI Radeon RX 7600 OC: UEFI black screen on Asus Z390-P (Linux OK, some trouble for Win11)

I have bought a new MSI Radeon RX 7600 MECH 2X CLASSIC 8G OC and tried it on a MB Asus Z390-P, running Windows 11 and Linux OpenSUSE Tumbleweed by dual boot.

Initially, the 7600 was working well with Windows 11; but after a couple of reboots the UEFI screen and Windows session have become pitch black. I tried all the commonly suggested fixes (reinstall drivers, reset CMOS, switch RAM, switch new and old GPU, disable the secure boot, check the power supply (CoolerMaster 700 w)...): no success.

However, the 7600 is working well on Linux; this could prove (I think) that the problem is software-related (driver? But why the black screen on UEFI?)?

Or, perhaps, could the problem be related to the HDMI? I am using an old monitor with cable HDMI 2.0, while the 7600 supports HDMI 2.1; I saw the interesting post https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/rx-6700-xt-no-video-signal-black-screen/td-p/466404 , but I have still to try that solution.

However, I have to say that I am disappointed about this GPU. Of course, I am aware that I am trying it on an old MB, but for UEFI start and Windows 11 I would expect a compatibility similar to the compatibility offered by Linux.

Any solution?

UPDATE:

Meanwhile, I managed to restore the 7600 on Windows 11, by switching temporarily to an older Radeon, resetting the drivers with AMD Cleanup Utility and manually removing from the device manager an additional generic "ghost" GPU, clearly conflicting. Currently, all seems to be very nice and stable (tried a bunch of games with high/ultra settings, f. i. Doom Eternal)...

... However, the black screen persists on UEFI

1 Solution
olethros
Adept I

UPDATE: I managed to see UEFI again by using a new HDMI cable 2.1... but together with a DisplayPort>HDMI adapter plugged into one GPU DisplayPort. Perhaps the adapter forced the GPU to "shrink" the signal output to my old monitor?

To be honest, I am quite shocked. I get the impression that these new Radeon GPUs are a little too picky about compatibility; but, nowadays, not everyone has all the money needed to assemble cutting-edge PCs.

Apart from that, if I don't meet further troubles I am going to mark my post as "solved".

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
olethros
Adept I

UPDATE: I managed to see UEFI again by using a new HDMI cable 2.1... but together with a DisplayPort>HDMI adapter plugged into one GPU DisplayPort. Perhaps the adapter forced the GPU to "shrink" the signal output to my old monitor?

To be honest, I am quite shocked. I get the impression that these new Radeon GPUs are a little too picky about compatibility; but, nowadays, not everyone has all the money needed to assemble cutting-edge PCs.

Apart from that, if I don't meet further troubles I am going to mark my post as "solved".

0 Likes
olethros
Adept I

Unfortunately, the black screen in UEFI comes back occasionally.

0 Likes

What a helpful community, eh? not even as much as acknowledging this problem in this forum, AMD's fanboy power level IS OVER 9000!!!! Anyway, I would recommend that you get your money back because your GPU is not working as intended and report the issue to AMD through this link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form to get their attention.

BTW, I crash on all games with my PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 XTX Red Devil.

0 Likes