Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ThinkMaroon1992
Journeyman III

MSI 6900XT sleep/wake performance issue

Hello all,

I have an MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio which appears to have an intermittent power related issue. I’ve already gone through the warranty process with MSI and the card came back the same, so not sure what to do next.

To keep it short, about 75% of the time when waking my PC from sleep mode the card exhibits very poor performance. Running Furmark will show FPS between ~5 - 100. It will stay in this low performance state perpetually until I put the computer back to sleep. Then I must perform subsequent sleep/wake cycles (anywhere between 1-20 times) and eventually the card will run at the expected ~230 fps. Then it’s usually good for as long as the PC stays on, although lately have had instances where the computer completely shuts off under graphics intense loads.  See screenshot below of performance metrics in both normal and low performance states. The decreased power consumption is what caught my eye. I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Some things I've tried so far without success:

• Upgraded to Seasonic SSR-1000PD power supply (previously 600w). No improvement.
  • Driver cleanup with DDU and new install of Adrenaline and AMD chipset drivers
  • Installed latest VBios for card
  • Installed latest Bios for Asus x570i MB
  • Tested both PCI Gen3 and Gen4 configs
  • Tested card in windows safe mode, issue persists
  • “Upgraded” from Windows 10 to 11
  • For troubleshooting I swapped in an old 1080ti and R9 390x, neither cards experience issue on this system. Currently running the 1080ti since the 6900xt is too unpredictable.

(Left) - Normal performance, (Right)  - low performance state(Left) - Normal performance, (Right) - low performance state

0 Likes
0 Replies