cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Mooncatt
Adept II

Most games crash with 7800XT on 24.7.1

As the title says, my PC is now crashing on most games with driver 24.7.1. The specific card is an XFX Speedster MERC 319 Black 7800XT. Just to preface this, I have reported this with the AMD bug reporting tool with the following:

"Starting with driver 24.6.1 and now on 24.7.1, most of my games will not load. The entire computer will freeze during the initial loading process, then reboot itself. Rolling back to 24.5.1 resolves the problem.

"To prevent driver update conflicts, I have downloaded the 24.7.1 driver for my 7800XT card from the AMD website, then disconnected my PC from the internet and rebooted into safe mode. I then ran the AMD cleanup utility and Display Driver Uninstaller to remove any trace of AMD drivers. Then I installed the 24.7.1 driver with the full installation option.

"When rebooting, Adrenalin gives and error that the drivers are not compatible with my system (this also happened the first time when updating direct through Adrenalin), but rebooting again will fix this. When I try to load a game the first time, it will run ok for maybe 10-30 minutes before crashing the PC and auto-rebooting. After that, any effected game will instantly crash during the initial loading."

I'm also asking here to provide more info and in the remote chance that I'm missing something else needing to be addressed on my end. The games I've tried are Microsoft Flight Sim 2020, Planet Coaster, American Truck Simulator, and Lawnmower Simulator from Steam, and Return to Grace from MS Game Pass. All of these will 100% crash without even making it to the main menus.

What I have done so far other than the multiple DDU's and driver installs:

Memtest86, passed with zero errors (saw some similar cases where ram was the culprit)
Massively underclocking the GPU and setting power to -10% in Adrenalin
Used bone stock settings in Adrenalin (clocks, timings, gaming settings, etc)
Tested and passed Heaven Benchmark and Cinebench R24's GPU tests
Temps all fine during benchmarking
Updated BIOS, chipset, and other drivers through my mobo's update utility
Reseated the GPU in the PCIe slot and the two power cables (which are not a daisychain)
Does not seem to have issues with normal usage or in other GPU tasks like a photo editor using it

I tried looking at Event Viewer, but there were so many errors (some critical) that I'm not even sure where to start with that.

I'm now back on 24.5.1 and stable again. I've seen some suggestions online that this sort of crash could be a hardware issue, but I'm not sure if that applies to me given that I'm stable on the earlier driver.

Other system specs:
5800X3D
MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus mobo
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB)
OS Drive Samsung 980 1TB M.2
PSU Corsair RM750x (2021 version) 750W Gold

3 Replies
Jimbobaway
Journeyman III

Dont know if this is related but ive been having game crashes with my 6900xt for almost a month now trying to play Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Last Epoch, Insurgency Sandstorm, Fallout 4, the games just black screen and crash after around 30-1hr or just after loading screen.
The first update i started to notice these crashes was 24.5.1 and at the time i thought is was a psu problem, so i bought a new one. Worked good up until update 24.7.1, now every game i try to play blacks screens/crashes forcing me to end task on that game and sometimes it just freezes Steam so i have to end task on that as well.
Tried downgrading firmware's but i got to 24.4.1 then gave up since nothing changed. Removed programs recently downloaded, Did Memtest to check ram, stress test on 3DMark/Cinebench with no problems, changed settings to med/low, underclock GPU(Never was OC), and removed OC on CPU. Temps wasn't getting past 85 in games and was 85-95 on stress tests, GPU usage rarely passes 90% usually averaging 80%.
Im thinking the updates could be the problem but it might still be hardware for me. I have this riser cable for my GPU that's kinda macgyver into place since the bolt hole on my case is like a inch short for the riser cable, so it might be that, im just going to replace it and hope for the best.

thaddyBOOM
Journeyman III

These are the exact issues I am experiencing... I believe the update may have affected the cards. I have swapped them into altenative systems and the same happens. This is disheartening. I'm reaady to send this card back. I want my money back. I'm only able to get these screen shots because of the onboard videoScreenshot010.pngScreenshot8.pngScreenshot09.png

0 Likes
Anatolichich
Newcomer

Yes, 24.6.1 and 24.7.1 are terrible for 7800 xt. I have a configuration on an Intel chip, but I have such problems. No game starts after switching to the 24.7.1 version driver. Rollback to 24.5.1

0 Likes