cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

loldemonnn
Journeyman III

Major lag waves

Hello! For the entire time I've had my PC, I've encountered a lot of lag related issues, even though the PC Is really good. 
Main problem is these waves of major lag, basically when I play a game then sometimes I get this around 3-5fps lag for about 10-20 seconds. It almost feels like the FPS Just caps itself to 5 for 10-20 seconds. This happens in a lot of games, and I've gotten used to it but recently when I started playing this new game called Shadows of Doubt, the lag has been a lot worse. (Forgot to mention that in other games I mostly get this lag when I tab out and tab back in) But in this game the lag just randomly comes. I could just be idle in the game and not moving my keyboard or mouse whatsoever and I start lagging. I'd like to fix this issue once and for all because its slowly getting more and more annoying, I've tried googling about it and everywhere it said to update my drivers, reinstall my drivers, I've done all of that several times and my drivers are on the most recent update yet I still get the problem.  The reason I'm asking this in amd forums and not in the Shadows of Doubt forums is because this issue happens in every game, I can't remember a game that ran smoothly without these waves of lag. I've tried researching this so much and I still don't have an answer. Please somebody help me with this annoying issue so I can finally enjoy videogames again without lagging. 

1tb external SSD, 455gb local disk 

16GB Ram
rx 6650 xt
amd ryzen 5 5500

0 Likes
7 Replies
Alptechexpert
Adept II

To counter the issue you're facing, it is recommended disabling the overlay to see if it resolves the lag issue.
Here's how you can disable the AMD Radeon software overlay:
Open the AMD Radeon software.
Click on the "Performance" tab.
Click on the "Overlays" tab.
Uncheck the box for "Show Overlays" to disable the AMD Radeon software overlay.
Additionally, it is possible that the issue might be related to the AMD Adrenaline software. If disabling the overlay doesn't solve the problem, you can try uninstalling the AMD Adrenaline software using the DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) tool. After uninstalling, you can download the driver for your specific graphics card from AMD's official website and install it on your PC.

0 Likes

Tried, didn't work unfortunately.

0 Likes

First, let's look at what's running in the background. Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) while you play and see if any programs are hogging CPU, memory, or disk usage. Shut down any unnecessary programs that might be stealing resources from your games.

You can also try temporarily disabling non-essential services like Bluetooth to see if they make a difference. On to the graphics card settings. Go into your game's settings and try lowering some graphics options like resolution, anti-aliasing, and shadows. This can lighten the workload on your RX 6650 XT and potentially improve performance. Also, experiment with enabling or disabling VSync in your graphics card control panel (like AMD Radeon Software) or the game's settings.

VSync can prevent screen tearing but may cause some input lag. Since your games are stored on a 1TB external SSD, that's good for loading times, but keep an eye on disk usage during gameplay using Task Manager. If you see spikes in disk usage when the lag hits, it might mean the drive is struggling to keep up. Here are some more advanced checks: Use software like MSI Afterburner to monitor your CPU and GPU temperatures while gaming.

If they get too hot (above 80°C for GPU, 90°C for CPU), your system might be throttling down to avoid overheating, causing the lag. Make sure your PC has good airflow and clean out any dust buildup if needed. If you've overclocked your CPU or GPU, try setting them back to stock speeds to see if overclocking instability is the culprit.

Finally, if you can, try connecting your PC to a different monitor to rule out any monitor issues. The fact that the lag happens across multiple games suggests it's a system-wide problem, not a specific game issue. By checking these areas one by one, we should be able to identify the issue and get you back to enjoying lag-free gaming!

0 Likes

Tried turning off bluetooth, doesn't seem to be the problem. Turned down graphics settings, turned off vsync. Whenever I lag, nothing changes in task manager except for gpu usage going down. Unfortunately I don't have any other monitor in my house so I can't check this one, unless there is any monitor settings I could change and test?

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

Are you playing these games on external drive via usb?

0 Likes

I'm not, I'm using my local drive to play most of these games but some of them on my external ssd too, I experience lag on both

0 Likes

Make sure you monitor CPU and GPU heat because that can cause this exact behavior. CPU/GPU gets too hot, throttles down and everything slows, then cools off so better performance, then immediately heats up, then throttles...

0 Likes