cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Lavaeolus
Journeyman III

Low Load Driver Timeouts with 7900XT

Hi Everyone, I've tried searching these forums but all of the timeout posts I found relate to gaming problems and mine is different.

I have an ASUS Radeon RX 7900XT and I've had problems ever since I bought it 5 months ago but I don't think it's the card that is the problem, more like drivers or some sort of system conflict.

The card works great in games and I rarely get a timeout when the card is under load but if I'm web browsing or even
just navigating windows file explorer I get frequent random driver timeouts, can be as many as 3 or 4 in a 10 second period. Sometimes I get DRIVER_POWER_STATE _FAILURE BSODs but they are not common, usually after multiple timeouts close together. When I start the PC I get at least 1 sometimes 2 timeouts before I get in to the Desktop.

I'm using the latest Adrenalin driver, Chipset Driver, Motherboard BIOS and Windows updates

Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
CPU: 5600X
RAM: 32GB Kingston Renegade Fury
PSU: Corsair HX 750i
Monitor: BENQ GW2765

I previously had an Nvidia 1050ti card for years without a single problem. I decided to splurge and get a good card but I'm thinking I should have splurged a bit more and stuck with Nvidia. I did remove all drivers before installing the AMD card and since have done a clean install (format partitions) of Windows 10 then Windows 11 and then back to Windows 10 because I liked it better and Windows 11 made no difference to my problems.

I've tried all of the usual fixes for the timeouts, it seems a lot of people have AMD timeout problems but usually while gaming
and none of those usual fixes worked for me.

I've tried:
Format drive and re-install windows
Disable MPO
Disable Fast Startup
Set Windows power options power saving modes to off / performance
Disable Hardware Acceleration in browsers and Steam client
Install AMD driver only
ENABLEULPS - set from 1 to 0
Increase TdrDelay

I have found a sort of workaround by running Adrenalin with the Metrics Screen open, it's like the monitoring keeps the connection between Windows and the driver alive. I can browse and game ok but when I close a game I have to shut down Adrenalin and re-launch it quickly otherwise I get timeouts within about 10 seconds of closing the game and they keep happening until I close and re-open Adrenalin

If anyone has seen this problem before or has any suggestions I would appreciate it

0 Likes
0 Replies