cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

askrabal
Journeyman III

linux screen goes black

I'm having a hard time figuring out what causes this to happen. Sometimes the screen goes blank / black when my son is using his computer. Sometimes it is watching videos in a browser(chrome or playing games in a browser. I think it has also done it when he plays some steam games. When it happens, the computer is still running, as I can ssh into it and start and stop some services, but the display manager (lightdm) hangs and cannot be restarted. I feel like the GPU driver is crashing, which causes the display manager to stop working. If I try to soft reboot it hangs. Anyone have any idea what is happening or things to try. I don't thing there is a power issue nor a load issue as I was able to play ARK on medium setting and it ran fine for 1-2 hours.

Computer is:

ASROCK B450M PRO4

AMD A6-9500

Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4 2666

ASUS Stryx Radeon R9 285

EVGA 430 80+ WHITE

Linuxmint 19.1 Tessa

0 Likes
1 Reply
askrabal
Journeyman III

So it's still freezing. I just removed the PEG to see if it is actually the issue or if there is something in the driver. Traditional games don't seem to cause problems, only online games. I assume these online games are using openGL ES, which might be casuing the issue.

Side note: I'm pretty impressed with this APU plays games better than I would have thought.

0 Likes