cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Houdas
Adept I

Is AMD going to acknowledge how terrible their OpenGL performance is?

RX 7800 XT Nitro+

Many people like myself enjoy playing old games from time to time, whether that's Half-Life, Minecraft, etc. These games use the OpenGL platform and unfortunately, one of the very big downsides of AMD is that their GPU's perform horribly with OpenGL and their performance is equivalent to a decade old Nvidia GPU. When is AMD going to acknowledge and fix their OpenGL platform? Even if it's dated I shouldn't have to drop to 50 FPS on a game from 1999...

0 Likes
4 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

As a nostalgic gamer, playing occasionally Half Life, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein (among others using OpenGL) I can't say I'm having a subpar experience, the game always caps at its maximum. 

RX6800

Try to fiddle with the adrenalin options, they can impact old games too. Halo does not like Freesync at all. (Example Given)

The Englishman

In Half-Life, could you try starting a local multiplayer game on the rocket_frenzy map and look toward the rocket? Let me know if you experience frame drops.

0 Likes
peruka93
Staff

Does the issue persist with the latest driver?
If yes, could you please provide game(s) titles and steps to reproduce the issue?

0 Likes

I am also having troubles running games with OpenGL. My issue became apparent in Minecraft, specifically while using shader mods. On my 7900xt the clock speeds would only top out at around 1400MHz anywhere from 1080p to 2160p. Fps constantly below 60. The only fix that worked would be manually setting the minimum frequency to something higher in the adrenaline software. Gpu usage starts going above 20% now but it not stable, frame drops and very low 1%s. I don't think I had this problem prior to 24.3.1

0 Likes