Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

NeedHelp1
Journeyman III

Intermittent GPU RX 6600 Fan Issue: Turbine Noise After Shutdown

Dear AMD Community,

I'm a gaming enthusiast who recently encountered an unexpected challenge related to the fan of my GPU RX 6600. I'd like to share details about the problem and seek the community's help in finding a solution.

During my gaming sessions, I usually monitor my system's performance using MSI Afterburner software. However, a recent experience left me perplexed. While gaming, I didn't notice any significant issues, such as overheating or excessive power consumption, as indicated by MSI Afterburner. It was only when I heard a loud and unexpected noise, similar to that of a turbine, that I realized something was amiss. Upon investigation, I discovered that the fan of the GPU RX 6600 had ramped up to maximum speed, even without obvious signs of overheating.

Since then, the problem has persisted intermittently. After periods of shutdown of approximately two hours, upon powering on the computer, the fan suddenly ramps up to maximum speed before the system's login screen appears.

Problem Summary:

• The GPU fan ramps up to maximum speed after periods of shutdown.
  • This problem first occurred during a gaming session, with no signs of graphical issues in the game or high temperatures (I ALWAYS USE MSI WHILE GAMING).
  • The problem happens on my RX 6600 GPU, which was recently purchased.
  • Even after testing on another computer, the behavior persists.
  • The problem temporarily resolves after reinstalling the GPU drivers, but returns after each computer shutdown within a 2-hour period.
  • When the fan is affected by the issue, GPU fan control does not function correctly. Upon heating up, the speed jumps directly to 100%, producing a loud noise, instead of gradually increasing according to temperature.
  • During the period of the problem, not even MSI can control the fan. Setting it to the minimum produces no changes, and only returning to automatic mode reduces the speed. However, as soon as the temperature rises, the fan immediately returns to 100%.

Actions Taken:

1. Reinstallation of GPU and CPU drivers.
  2. Uninstalling and using the PC without MSI Afterburner.
  3. Clean system OS installation.
  4. Resetting the motherboard BIOS (by removing the battery and/or through BIOS settings).
  5. Reinstallation of the motherboard BIOS (same version).
  6. Even after testing on another computer, the behavior persists.

It seems that I'll need to seek technical assistance under the warranty from where I purchased it. I've truly exhausted all possible efforts to resolve the issue, but unfortunately, none of my attempts have yielded any results. I would appreciate understanding what might be causing this. The card has consistently performed without any issues in these initial months of use, so this sudden problem is puzzling.

Additional Emphasis:

• During periods of resolution, the GPU fan operates normally, allowing MSI Afterburner to control it, and games to run without any issues.
  • However, after leaving the PC off for around two hours, upon reboot, the problem returns, creating a frustrating loop.

I am open to any additional suggestions that the community may offer. I sincerely appreciate any assistance or advice you can provide.

0 Likes
5 Replies

Is this a AMD GPU card purchased from AMD or a 3rd party GPU card like Sapphire?

Since you mentioned you installed it in a different PC with the same results seems to indicate that something is not operating correctly with your new GPU card.

Possibly your GPU card might have developed a intermittent problem that is affecting the GPU temperature sensors making the GPU card believe that it is overheating when it isn't. Like cracked tracings on the board. just guessing though.

I would first uninstall MSI Afterburner and just use AMD Radeon Settings to create a GPU Fan profile and see if that fixes it.

Possibly MSI Afterburner might be in conflict with Radeon Settings. So to eliminate that possibility I would uninstall, temporary, MSI Afterburner and see if the behavior continues or not. Later on you can install MSI Afterburner again once the problem has been fixed.

Also download and run OCCT CPU,GPU, & PSU Tests to stress test your GPU card and PC in general. During the tests keep a close eye on CPU & GPU Temperatures, PSU Power outputs (3.3/5.0/12.0 Vdc) and fan speeds.

Also observe the behavior of your GPU card if it acts normally or not during the testing.

If it continues with just Radeon Settings controlling the GPU fan than I would open a Manufacturer's Warranty Ticket and see if the GPU card needs to be checked for repairs or replacement. I would physically not touch the GPU card while under Warranty to prevent your Warranty from being voided.

By the way, does all the GPU fans turn very easily without any resistance when you manually turn them with your finger?  No noises when you manually turn the GPU fans?

During POST it is normal for the GPU fans to turn on full blast for about a second since BIOS is testing out your GPU card before booting into Windows.

Hello,

I appreciate the detailed suggestions and guidance. I agree with you regarding the startup issue and understand that GPU fans typically spin for a short period during this process. However, the extremely loud noise resembling that of a jet turbine that my fan produces during this brief startup period and when it is glitched is definitely unusual, and that's what concerns me.

My graphics card is from PowerColor and was purchased from a reputable online store. I'm about to run the OCCT tests as suggested while waiting for a response from the warranty support.

Indeed, this situation has been extremely frustrating, especially considering that this is my first experience with a high-performance graphics card. I'm almost certain that the problem is related to something physical in the card, possibly related to the fan speed controllers. The fan is spinning normally and without resistance, even when manually turned.

Despite performing a clean system format and running the PC without programs like MSI Afterburner, the issue persists. The temporary solution of reinstalling the graphics card drivers is really intriguing. It seems that the card operates perfectly fine when this happens, which only increases my suspicion that the problem is related to something beyond just software.

My graphics card is currently with a friend, where it was tested in another PC and exhibited the same behavior. Once I get it back, I'll try using it again while waiting for approval from the support team to send it for technical assistance.

I've never seen a problem like this before. Whenever I research, I find cases where cards display a black screen and the fans spin at 100%, but never one that functions perfectly like mine and glitches only with the fans, being temporarily resolved by reinstalling the drivers.

I initiated this topic because I spent literally three consecutive days trying to understand this issue. Several times, I thought I had resolved it as the card was booting up normally. However, every time I turned off the computer and left it off for a while, upon rebooting, the problem resurfaced regardless of the measures I took to address it. This has consumed virtually all of my time over the past three days, and so far, I haven't been able to pinpoint the cause. I don't feel confident in attempting any physical interventions as the equipment is still under warranty. All I can do now is wait and hope to return to gaming smoothly as soon as possible.

0 Likes

Sound like possibly a metal tracing on the GPU card might have a microscopic crack when it is cold the tracing separates until it get hot enough to expand and make contact again. just guessing since the problem occurs on a cold start of the GPU card.

The latest GPU cards are quite large and heavy. Many comes with a Metallic backing to keep the GPU card from flexing.  Some even come with special brackets to hold it in place on the motherboard to stabilize it.  So if the GPU card somehow through vibrations or being handled,  one or more of the metallic tracing could have developed a microscopic crack in it. but again I am just guessing.

Plus since it does the same thing on a completely different PC is a very good sign the GPU card is the issue and not software related. Testing hardware on a different PC is the best method to test a hardware is defective or not.

If the problem would have disappeared on the other PC then I would believe it has something to do with your PC either hardware or software related. But since the problem didn't go away that pretty much eliminated your PC as the cause.

By the way, Sorry for the long reply. I have gotten into the habit of typing long replies. I just enjoy typing and uploading screenshots. C- :  .

But many times a problem could involve so many aspects that I am forced to try an cover everything in one reply.

0 Likes

I appreciate people like you, who shoot in all directions until they find the source of a problem. That's literally what I always do, and most of the time it works, but unfortunately, that wasn't the case this time. I'll perform tests with OCCT to see if I notice any issues with the GPU, but its fate will definitely be the technical assistance.

One interesting thing, since I bought the GPU and installed it with extreme care, I've never removed it from the PC. My PC always sits on a desk and I hardly ever mess with the case; it remains literally static all the time. Everything indicates that I was lucky to get a card with a factory defect. Interestingly, the problem took a while to surface; I've been using it almost trouble-free for nearly 2 months.

Thank you for your help. Nowadays, it's hard to find someone willing to try to solve other people's problems. Usually, those facing such issues feel literally lost, without anyone to turn to for a short-term solution.

I'll leave the topic active; who knows, I might update it over time, depending on how things progress here.

Unfortunately, my late-night marathons of Death Stranding will have to wait a few months to resume.

0 Likes

If the GPU card is found to be defective by Powercolor or it wasn't please post back your results.

Thanks and Good Luck.

0 Likes