cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Saido77
Journeyman III

Inconsistent and low gpu usage in games (Some even unplayable; Brand new PC)

Hi guys! This is a very frustrating thing that's happening to me since I just got a brand new PC. It's also the first time I have AMD parts on a PC.I feel that it's a very odd problem that has happened to 0.01% of the population. Just to let you guys know, I've been using this PC in this state for almost 2 months.

Ryzen 5600 3.5Ghz boost 4.2Ghz

RX 6650 xt 8gb

16gb 3600Mhz DDR4 ram

750w PSU

B550 AORUS PRO V2

1 TB PCIe SSD

Windows 11

For example, I should be able to reach 200+ fps from battlefield 4 on max settings. Yet I only get 70-100 and GPU usage is all over the place (It almost never reaches 70%) and it's constantly dipping if there's a lot of stuff going on. Generally this is what happens: A lot of stuff happens=lower gpu usage (Although it may not apply in all cases). Either way, it's generally inconsistent. The only game I would say is the most consistent on the fps side is Overwatch 2. Although the GPU usage fluctuates from 40%-80%. It's really strange because, for example, when I'm on the menu on bf4 (searching for a game) the GPU usage is 90%, yet when I get into a game it lowers exponentially. GPU usage is never static or consistent, it's constantly fluctuating with sudden dips or sudden increases. Changing my in-game settings doesn't change things at all, wether I play on low of max settings it's the same performance.

Another fact that's odd in general is that the gpu uses very low wattage. It's also something that happens to the CPU as well. My GPU should use up to 130w (something like that) and yet it almost never goes past 70w. The weirdest performance is on left 4 dead 2; when there's a lot of zombies the fps dips to 40 and usage is like 1-5%, while wattage is like 5-15w. I booted up borderlands 2 as well and I got the same phenomenon (1-5% GPU usage and 40 fps), even though nothing was going on. With older games it could be more understandable that the engine can't benefit from modern GPUs, but this is a little extreme. The highest wattage I can remember was with Overwatch 2 at roughly 70-80w.

So the first thing one could think of is a bootleneck. It seems that it can't be the case since I've seen videos with people using Ryzen 3600 and RX 6600 and it works optimally. The other one is drivers; I've updated amd drivers and downgraded to earlier drives and the problem persists. Morever, both CPU and GPU temperatures are fine (50-60c). The last one that makes more sense that I haven't checked if it's a PSU problem, maybe with cable management or stuff like that that hinders optimal energy transfer. The PSU could be a possibility, but what's strange is that GPU usage can be so low at older games (Left 4 dead 2, Battlefield bad company 2, Borderlands 2) and moderately higher on more recent games (Destiny 2, Overwatch 2, Warzone). So, with all of that said, anything else comes to mind? Help would be gladly appreciated since I've wanted a new PC for a bit for me to face this nonsensical bullcrap. Help will be appreciatted!

3 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

My first suspicion is PSU. If you got extra cables with it, you could try using another (PSU-GPU) cable than you have now. While it is recommended to use two separate cable and not just split the GPU end, for testing (if you don't have enough cables), you could just use one with splitted end going to both connectors in GPU. Basically most PSUs are single rail and your GPU isn't a terrible power hog.

For some reason I would also like to try running that memory kit at 3200MHz. Just change it manually from BIOS.

I am for some reason skeptical with Ryzen Master, MSI Afterburner and such, and rather just use BIOS settings.

0 Likes
BaguetteOui
Adept I

Hi, 

I have the same problem and honestly I've tried everything from bios, adrenalin, windows to afterburner settings (tried every solutions).

I've conclued that this is just a matter of optimization either from amd or the game itself so I'd say we just wait until something fixes this issue.

However if someone has THE solution, i'd be very happy to read it !

Btw @MADZyren : The rx6650xt is only 8 pins so we can't use two separate cables

0 Likes
Koyote7667
Challenger

I  dont know why a PSU would cause low fps issues. Black screens and others, sure. But not just low FPS.

200 fps,.. on BF4, on MAX settings??  wow. The 6650 on the old warzone, at 1440 would net like 90. maybe 120 on 1080.  Who or how do you know you'd get 200 ?!?   Man, that seems like a lot on max settings. Ive seen a video of a 6650, on BFV, at 1080, ultra, that yoinked 125 fps on average. And like 98 at 1440.

200 ? 

EDIT- your usage,.. does seem odd though. And that is not from a psu, i wouldnt think. Especially from the power consumed you are talking of.  Smells like something else to me. Exactly what, ... hard to say. 

0 Likes