Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Sladdi
Journeyman III

HD 7970 Windows/BIOS Glitch and unbootable

Hello everyone,

i got serious problems with my HD 7970 since last week and did not manage to solve it by myself. My screen has red stripes coming up in BIOS and Windows load screen, but black screen before Logon showing up.

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7970  

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K

Mainboard: Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 F8 

I had the same failure about half a year ago directly after a windows update. I solved it by deinstalling the latest windows update and reinstalling graphic driver in windows safe mode, as far as i remember. 

This time, even windows safe mode did not work. So i reinstalled windows completely, but without success. It was quite hard to get the installation till end, because the black screen always stopped the installation.

After various tries, including CMOS restore, i can't even access BIOS. I just got Black Screen from the beginning.

Fun Fact: I switched the Card on the Mainboard: in PCI x8 Slot i see BIOS and Safe Mode, but PCI x16 Slot is not working at all (Mainboard PCI-Problem LED is on).

IMG_20211114_232833.jpg

IMG-20211118-WA0003.jpeg

Can this problems really be initiated by an "simple" driver or windows update?

Or has my card finally given up...

0 Likes
1 Solution

If you are getting constant artifacts on your screen indicates a defective GPU card.

If you install another PCIex16 card in the Motherboard slot and it works fine then you definitely have a defective GPU card.

You can also install your GPU card in another computer. IF the same artifiacts occurs than that is another indication you have a defective GPU card.

In BIOS there are no Windows Graphics drivers loaded just what BIOS needs to show video.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies

If you are getting constant artifacts on your screen indicates a defective GPU card.

If you install another PCIex16 card in the Motherboard slot and it works fine then you definitely have a defective GPU card.

You can also install your GPU card in another computer. IF the same artifiacts occurs than that is another indication you have a defective GPU card.

In BIOS there are no Windows Graphics drivers loaded just what BIOS needs to show video.

0 Likes

Thanks for your reply, 

took some time to organize a second pc, but:

• Other Card in PCI 16 Slot works fine in my PC
  • My Card in the other PC does not work at all

So my card is ready for the garbage.

Nevertheless, thanks for your help!