cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

JackWolf
Journeyman III

HD 7900 crashing computer

I had no problems for years but recently my HD7900 with 3GB card started crashing in games and now is crashing in windows.

I have the latest drivers, I downloaded MSI Afterburner and lowered the core clock to 560 instead of being at 925 and this solved the issue however from time to time the core clock goes to 925 and then the crashing occurs, I don't know how to keep it down because thje Adrenaline software brings it back to 925 and when I lower it it wont save (just go back to 925).

Is there a permanent way to change it, also what would be causing the crash? Is it the memory on the video card itself.

Card never overheats and the temperature is 40deg C and less than 50deg C when gaming.

Any ideas? Should I get a new card or this is a driver/windows issue?

0 Likes
4 Replies

If running a CPU-only stress test, like Cinebench R23, doesn't cause a crash as well which would then say to me it's a power supply issue, or using a driver set from 2019 or even 2018 doesn't clear the problem, then I'd say it's a video card hardware issue. The thing is right now it's not a good time to buy a new GPU due to insane prices and shortages.

Thank you

0 Likes

Did you fix these problems? Im having the same ones.

0 Likes

This is a driver problem.

I have four AMD HD 7990 video cards on an ASUS B250 Mining Expert motherboard running Windows 10 Pro. These legacy video cards will not boot UEFI.

When I installed  Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.5.2 for legacy graphics, the video card fans stopped running when Windows was running. They ran during BIOS startup. I did three installations of Windows 10 Pro in order to isolate the cause of my recent problems. I am now running the Blockchain Beta driver.  The computer is loaded 100% running BOINC project  Milkyway@home.

Pause Windows Updates and once you have installed a legacy driver that suits you, you can disable Windows Updates of the AMD graphics driver.  I used wushowhide from MajorGeeks.

0 Likes