cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Meatpopsikle
Adept II

Had to bail on Radeon!!

To whom it may concern at AMD. On 6-7-2023 I bought a PowerColor RX 7600 Fighter graphics card from Micro Center. The performance was amazing. BUT!! It would only play DX12 games stable. Every DX11 game I have crashed the drivers. I waited for four weeks to see some change in the drivers. Micro Center has a 30 day exchange policy and I was forced to exchange it for a  RTX 3060 that was the same price. This was a down grade!! Yes I was running the correct drivers 23.5.1 and even tried running a newer driver. Ran with the software and without the software; just drivers. Was all over the internet, your forums, Reddit, YouTube etc and could not find any solutions. I almost bought a Radeon GPU 3 1/2 years ago but got a GTX 1660 Super instead because I had heard a lot of bad things about AMD drivers. This time I went for it thinking you guys should have got your sh_t together by now. I've always used nVidia GPU's going back to the first Riva TNT and have never had issues. Sorry to say I won't be coming back. Love your CPU's but GPU's not so much. Been building computers for over 30 years and I'm retired IT support guy. Not happy to see lower frame rates now that I'm back on nVidia. Very unfortunate!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Meatpopsikle
Adept II

I'd be remiss if I didn't post an update on my situation. I want AMD to know that I've been a fanboy for 3 decades, that's if anyone even reads this. So I had some driver issues with DX11 games. I exchanged the PowerColor RX 7600 Fighter with an MSI RTX 3060 card of the same price on 7-3-2023 after having it since 6-7-2023. So it was a straight swap at Micro Center. When I started to game on the RTX card I could tell right away that the performance was not the same and it didn't look as good either. The other thing I noticed is that the Geforce card CPU utilization was higher. It was all over the place spiking as high as 100%. I found that to be a little odd cause the RX 7600 didn't do that. My Ryzen 5 5600X runs around 30%-ish in most games with the RX 7600. Anyways I was really not happy at all with the decision to replace the Radeon for a Geforce card. It was a step backwards. After 2 days I couldn't take any more and decided that I would take back the RTX 3060 and get the PowerColor RX 7600 Fighter card that I had before. That was yesterday. I didn't even install the Radeon card when I got home. I put my old GTX 1660 Super in. I figured I'll leave the Radeon in its box until new drivers come out. Well I didn't have to wait long. I just put in the card with the new 23.7.1 drivers. Only been playing for a couple of hours and I haven't had any driver crashes.....fingers crossed. Warframe looks amazing and I didn't even change the visual settings. The effects in that game on this card really pop! WOW what a difference! Geforce didn't have the same look and the colors on the Radeon are better.

Thanks for the new drivers and sorry for being a whinny bitch.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Meatpopsikle
Adept II

I'd be remiss if I didn't post an update on my situation. I want AMD to know that I've been a fanboy for 3 decades, that's if anyone even reads this. So I had some driver issues with DX11 games. I exchanged the PowerColor RX 7600 Fighter with an MSI RTX 3060 card of the same price on 7-3-2023 after having it since 6-7-2023. So it was a straight swap at Micro Center. When I started to game on the RTX card I could tell right away that the performance was not the same and it didn't look as good either. The other thing I noticed is that the Geforce card CPU utilization was higher. It was all over the place spiking as high as 100%. I found that to be a little odd cause the RX 7600 didn't do that. My Ryzen 5 5600X runs around 30%-ish in most games with the RX 7600. Anyways I was really not happy at all with the decision to replace the Radeon for a Geforce card. It was a step backwards. After 2 days I couldn't take any more and decided that I would take back the RTX 3060 and get the PowerColor RX 7600 Fighter card that I had before. That was yesterday. I didn't even install the Radeon card when I got home. I put my old GTX 1660 Super in. I figured I'll leave the Radeon in its box until new drivers come out. Well I didn't have to wait long. I just put in the card with the new 23.7.1 drivers. Only been playing for a couple of hours and I haven't had any driver crashes.....fingers crossed. Warframe looks amazing and I didn't even change the visual settings. The effects in that game on this card really pop! WOW what a difference! Geforce didn't have the same look and the colors on the Radeon are better.

Thanks for the new drivers and sorry for being a whinny bitch.

I'm glad you went back to the Radeon video card.  I have no idea on how difficult it is to write the code for video drivers, but I bet it's even tougher to test the driver updates with enough possible configurations that you have high confidence the new driver didn't break anything that was working before.  

One of my engineering positions was running a month long testing program for new software deliveries.  We are talking about complex image processing and things of this nature.  Finding a process crashing during the testing phase would periodically happen and we tried to figure out where the problem was to help the developer of the software update.  I can understand how difficult it is to test.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

Ya I just went with my guts and my guts said stick it out with AMD they will fix it! I have ZERO issues. Been playing all day every day and its been rock solid with no driver crashes. Couldn't be happier! Just found it to be interesting that my system is working less and giving more performance and fidelity then with nVidia.