cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Graphics

rockmuncher
Adept II

GPU Lifespan

I've been running the same graphics card for about 5 years now, an R9 380. Over the past year I've experienced an increasing number of game crashes. The display freezes, then black screens, and kicks me back to my operating system (both windows and ubuntu). My drivers are up to date. I'm wondering what the lifespan of cards are, I think I've reached the end of the card's lifespan. I've never been one for running applications at high settings, like games on ultra, so visual quality really hasn't been an issue for me.  How long should I expect a card to last?

0 Likes
1 Solution
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

3 main factors to represent this question.

1. Cooling device efficiency lifespan maintenance and quality.

2. Driver support from both Operating Systems and Manufacturers.

3. The Big One. Newer Games and their recommended hardware support list.

The card can be 10 years old and still run basic applications like your OS internet browsing some media (music and movies) and some light to medium load 3D applications.

They are also good to keep around in case your newer GPU suddenly gives a no signal. You can use the older GPU to get a signal and see if your problem is software related. Had this happen a few times by setting an unsupported resolution or refresh rate usually due to monitor support not liking but supporting certain resolution/refresh rates.

Or your GPU just dies on you. You can get signal to RMA or purchase a replacement for that bad card. I always keep a few older GPU's around for the following reasons.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rockym20
Adept II

Graphics cards don't really have a best-before date.  I still keep an old ATI HD6850 around, just in case my main GPU dies for some reason and I need a back-up until I can get it back from warranty. 

Check the fans on your card.  Has one or more died?  If so, it could be just overheating.  It could be worth a try to do a new application of thermal paste for heat sink.  That said, it is possible you have some bad capacitors or something like that.  Then its a much more complicated job to fix, and likely not worth it.

0 Likes
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

3 main factors to represent this question.

1. Cooling device efficiency lifespan maintenance and quality.

2. Driver support from both Operating Systems and Manufacturers.

3. The Big One. Newer Games and their recommended hardware support list.

The card can be 10 years old and still run basic applications like your OS internet browsing some media (music and movies) and some light to medium load 3D applications.

They are also good to keep around in case your newer GPU suddenly gives a no signal. You can use the older GPU to get a signal and see if your problem is software related. Had this happen a few times by setting an unsupported resolution or refresh rate usually due to monitor support not liking but supporting certain resolution/refresh rates.

Or your GPU just dies on you. You can get signal to RMA or purchase a replacement for that bad card. I always keep a few older GPU's around for the following reasons.

Driver support was the issue with one of the programs I was using, thank you for suggesting it. It looks like though the hardware can run some of the titles in question they aren't really designed with my hardware in mind. I guess this is what it is like going around a NASCAR track in a mid tier Chevrolet. Thank you for the answer.