Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

andyinbris
Journeyman III

GPU Freeze/reset when third monitor is turned off

Take2..
I have a Gigabyte X570S Pro AX with a 5800X3D CPU and an ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition 24GB GPU.

There are 3 displays connected.

#1 is a 32" Samsung G7 in landscape.
#2 is a generic Dell 24" 1080p in portrait
#3 is a 43" Sony A85K in landscape

Generally only #1 & #2 are active in Windows as #3 is on my racing rig.

About 4 months ago I had an issue where the whole PC would appear to freeze for a few seconds then recover, with whatever I was doing having continued in the background. If I was typing then the word or sentence would be complete. If I was gaming then my inputs had been recognised.

Turns out it was the GPU that was locking up and resetting. This was shown in Event Viewer but no reason was obvious. By process of elimination, the issue is related to monitor #3 (the A85K).

Whenever #3 is connected but not turned on, the GPU locks up every 30-60s (est., not that regular). If I unplug, it behaves properly. If I enable it in Windows it behaves. If I power it on (but don't activate it in Windows) it behaves correctly, even when set to a different input (ie PS5).

This issue resolve about 6 weeks after it appeared but has now come back, I assume with the latest driver update. (now on Adrenalin 24.1.1 and driver 31.0.24002.92)

Has anyone else seen this or have any insight or remedy?

0 Likes
0 Replies