cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

GPU fix thread

TL;DR in advance. a few ways to hopefully get your card working the way it should and my experience with buying a used card. my memory is a little fuzzy so some stuff might be missing. edit: no story. only answers.

disclaimer: 4 weeks ago, I knew nothing about computers so take my advice with a THICC pinch of salt. this is not a comprehensive list of solutions nor is it a definitive one. you are responsible for your own actions. I accept no liability in what you do from this point forth. 

tags for SEO: black screen. blue screen. no input. drivers. driver install. driver uninstall. AMD adrenalin. AMD software. AMD firmware. AMD hardware. Navi. Radeon.  AMD error code. error code. windows error code. 

below are resources that'll help you get your GPU working. I was going to incorporate them into the story but you're here for answers, not entertainment.

assuming you're starting with the latest windows version:

reboot reboot reboot (or type bios into windows search bar) - advanced - start up options - wait - F5 - log in and get back here GPU fix thread - AMD Community

this removes AMD driver files. use this first AMD Cleanup Utility to Remove AMD Driver Files | AMD

DDU Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.5.9 (guru3d.com) you know what this is. right at the bottom of the page, you'll see "download locations" pick the one closest to you for faster download. it has a "read me", the read me is also on the web page... twice. maybe you should read it. if AMD cleanup did its job, you may not need to use this.

most or all AMD drivers, software and firmware can be found here: AMD Drivers and Support | AMD there is also an auto detect utility which if I remember correctly, is 3 options below the first.

legacy systems Install AMD Catalyst™ Drivers For Windows® Based System | AMD 

when installing AMD drivers etc you may get error codes AMD Software Help Center | AMD go to the bottom to see error codes and possible solutions. 

god help you if you get windows errors Complete List of Windows Update Error Codes | Windows OS Hub (woshub.com) honestly, I spent days going down the rabbit hole of windows errors and trying to fix them by modifying my OS and using the command terminal. IMO the best solution is a fresh install of windows and letting the update manager do its thing. fix things in safe mode if you have to. 

you'll want to see if your GPU works so... hit the windows bar and punch in "computer management" device manager - display adaptors - right click (hopefully) your GPU and enable the device. it wouldn't hurt to open command as admin and type "sfc /SCANNOW" this fixes corrupted data. boot to normal windows. if it doesn't work, go back to safe mode, use DDU again and try a driver one release back. 

if that doesn't work. see if windows wants to update. use computer management, hunt down everything that has a driver and update them all manually THEN try your GPU drivers. 

other nice to haves CCleaner Makes Your Computer Faster & More Secure | Official Website I'm a dummy that reinstalls things that I already installed because idk how else to open them. this deletes duplicate files and has a driver updater -.o how nice. 

Malwarebytes Cyber Security for Home & Business | Anti-Malware does what it says on the tin. also consider getting malwarebytes browser guard extension for your browsers. yet another handy tool. 

if after all that, your GPU still doesn't work, I'm sorry to say but the problem is probably the hardware itself and you should try get a refund if you still can. if you cant, there're 2 <<<LAST RESORTS>>> that might resurrect your dead card: 

1: "THE OVEN TRICK" The Oven Trick: Repairing Your Broken Video Card - Overclockers this involves taking all plastic, thermal compounds and shrouds off the PCB and cooking your card. the theory being that the heat will liquify the soldier and when cooled, reset it to what it was like when manufactured. 

2 "REBALLING" Laptop BGA Reballing - YouTube at this point, you may as well yeet your GPU. I mean odds are you don't have a soldering iron but if you do (and you're desperate) then its the last stop before the end of the line. 

oh spoiler alert

I was sold a broken GPU but I got my money back soooo yay?

0 Likes
0 Replies