cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Gon123
Adept II

GPU doesn't appear on Task Manager

Updated from Pro drivers (worked worse than it should) to Adrenalin, following AMD's support advise, and at first it worked wonderfully. But the day after that, and without any changes in between, some applications that used the GPU more intensely didn't even open (the message "A D3D11-compatible GPU (Feature LEvel 11.0, Shader Model 5.0) is required to run the engine" appeared), the GPU fans were working constantly even if I was only using Chrome, it didn't appear in the task manager, and in the device manager a yellow error triangle appeared (with: "this device doesn't work correctly because Windows can't load the required drivers for said device (code 31)"). AMD told me instantly it was a manufacturing problem and that it should go to warranty.

I sent it there, and the seller says it works fine, so he doesn't want to replace it/give me its value. How can I be completely sure the problem is related to the GPU specifically, and not to other components/software? Some technicians I asked say they need to open the GPU, so my warranty would be voided, and that would be a big problem in the case repairs don't work.

About my PC: the OS is Windows 11 in its latest version, the chipset is 5.05.16.529, the Adrenalin version is 23.7.2, the BIOS is the last version or the one before that, the motherboard is a B450 GAMING PLUS MAX (MSI), the GPU is a 6600 XT (Powercolor Hellhound), the PSU is a Corsair RM750X (750W), the CPU is a 5700x. The temperatures were good the moment the GPU appeared on the task manager. I have some files that could be useful also. AMD detected codes LiveKernelEvent 1b0 and 193

0 Likes
4 Replies

I googled your first error A D3D11-compatible GPU (Feature LEvel 11.0, Shader Model 5.0) is required to run the engine.

Found this website that gives troubleshooting tips to fix it. It mentions it is a fairly common Windows 10/11 error that prevents games from loading or starting: https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-d3d11-gpu-error/

These are the steps from the above articles and detailing how to run the Troubleshooting steps:

How do I fix D3D11 compatible GPU is required to run the engine?
How to Fix the “D3D11-compatible GPU” Error in Windows 11/10
  1. Install Any Available Windows Updates. ...
  2. Scan Your System Files With SFC. ...
  3. Set the Game to Utilize a Dedicated Graphics Card. ...
  4. Update the Driver for Your Graphics Card. ...
  5. Repair or Update Visual C++ Redistributables on Your PC. ...
  6. Install the DirectX Runtime Libraries.

Another article mentioned that it usually concerns corrupt or bad Graphic drivers. To see if your AMD Driver are working correctly please upload a GPU-Z image with the current AMD driver installed.

Since you went from the Pro version which are not modified for gaming but for running Apps to the Adrenaline driver which are made for gaming, you Adrenaline driver install might have been corrupted by left over AMD Pro driver installation.

Use DDU (Display Driver Unistaller) with the internet disconnected and deleting any AMD Installation folder at C:\AMD. Then run DDU and when it reboots back into Windows Desktop run the full AMD Driver package. Then check Device Manager and GPU-Z to make sure there are no errors and the driver is installed correctly.

At the bottom of GPU-Z there are some APIs that must be check marked to show that they have been enabled correctly with the correct versions installed like OpenCL, OpenGL, DirectCompute, Vulkan, and Ray Tracing are the most common ones that should be checked marked with your GPU card installed.

Here is an example of a Powercolor RX6600XT GPU-Z showing the AMD Driver installed correctly:

Screenshot 2023-08-24 212251.png

If any of the check marked APIs are not check marked on your GPU-Z that would indicate the AMD driver wasn't install or not working correctly and that specific API was not enabled on your GPU card.

Gon123
Adept II

Thank you so much! Will try this when I have the GPU again. The last install was made with AMD Cleanup Utility, I don't know how different is from DDU

0 Likes

DDU and AMD Cleanup Utility are very similar in their functions.

Most Forums including Nvida and AMD recommend using Display Driver Uninstaller since it does a very good job of eliminating all traces of various GPU drivers.

But it is up to the User which one they want to use. Both are good for what they are programmed to do.

Well, I just updated Windows 11, and with nothing more, the problems aren't there! Is it necessary to do a clean install? I don't want to touch what isn't broke, honestly. But I will do a benchmark. Thanks so much for your help, though!

0 Likes