Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Yann77
Adept I

Frequent Black screen with Vega 56 Strix while gaming or desktop works

Hi everyone,

I have a serious issue with my Vega 56 Strix, with constant black screen happening during simple dekstop tasks or gaming.

The whole system has been thoroughly stress tested (Aida 64) with no issue while doing so.

What i have already tried : Used amd cleaner utility, DDU, reinstalled all drivers and chipset, updated windows 10, undervolted the gpu, formatted and reinstalled the whole system...

Tried also to disable MPO, upated all the driver from the motherboard (sound, lan etc...) updated the bios.

My specs : B450 E Asus Strix, 3700x (stock settings), 32gb of dual channel memory Trident Z 3200cl14 (Bdie) with docp enabled and stable.

Cpu cooler : Cryorig H7 ultra (cpu runs cool and quiet, stability tested brilliantly)

Fsp platinum psu 850w. Two distincts modular cables to power the 2x8pin connectors.

So, my question is : Why AMD has not fixed this huge issue, knowing that a quite large amount of users experienced the same, including many different gpu ?

Honeslty, with all due respect, i really don't understand this mess. Things must change quickly.

By the way, if someone could help, i would definitely be very grateful.

Thank you all

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Yann77
Adept I

Update : 

It appears that the root cause of this issue was the bad quality display port cable. After changing the cable by a quality one, no more black screen issue. Hope it could help anyone with this problem.

View solution in original post

totally confirmed. No one crash since i bought a quality cable. To complete the description of the issue, after black sreen, the pc usually refused to boot, and recently i found this article from a cable manufacturer which describes the issue being non vesa compliant (20pin connector should not be wired)  : https://ivanky.com/en-fr/blogs/news/what-is-the-displayport-pin-20-issue?spm=a2g0s.imconversation.0....

Furthermore, as Vega 56 has been released in 2017, it fits quite well.

At least, the problem is easily fixable now, but it was a real pain to clarify it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
mirich
Adept I

You could try this. In the windows search bar type "Change Device Installation Settings", check "No" and "Save Changes". Afterwards use DDU and reinstall the GPU drivers, this seems to have fixed my issue for now. Newest windows update seems to overwrite the GPU driver with an older version.

Yann77
Adept I

Thank you very much Mirich, i will try your method for sure. Keep you updated

0 Likes
Yann77
Adept I

by the way, i forgot to mention that i changed the thermal past lately, and the thermal pad for the vrm (asus strix verion is known to have issues with these) and the black screen issue is still here

0 Likes
Yann77
Adept I

Just to let you know that i have not applied your solution yet, but, a few days ago, i changed the outlet from the former one which was not grounded, the new one is grounded. If the black screen/crash occur again, i will apply your solution. Thanks

0 Likes
Yann77
Adept I

Update : 

It appears that the root cause of this issue was the bad quality display port cable. After changing the cable by a quality one, no more black screen issue. Hope it could help anyone with this problem.

totally confirmed. No one crash since i bought a quality cable. To complete the description of the issue, after black sreen, the pc usually refused to boot, and recently i found this article from a cable manufacturer which describes the issue being non vesa compliant (20pin connector should not be wired)  : https://ivanky.com/en-fr/blogs/news/what-is-the-displayport-pin-20-issue?spm=a2g0s.imconversation.0....

Furthermore, as Vega 56 has been released in 2017, it fits quite well.

At least, the problem is easily fixable now, but it was a real pain to clarify it.