Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

MrJeriKu
Adept I

FreeSync Premium Causes Massive Memory Clock Fluctuations [7900XTX]

PC Specs:

• XFX Merc 310 7900XTX
    • Driver Version: 24.3.1; also attempted on 24.2.1; clean driver installs with DDU
    • VRAM Tuning set to 2714, default timings
  • MSI G321CU, 144hz Max, FreeSync Premium 4k Monitor

Issue:

When FreeSync Premium is enabled, the following occurs:

1. Memory Timings fluctuate between ~900 to ~2700
  2. Monitor's Refresh Rate jumps between 144Hz and 97Hz; the above fluctuations occur when the Hz drops to 97.
  3. Turning off FreeSync Premium causes the timings to stabilize back to 2700 (manual configuration).
    1. The fluctuation occurs even when disabling VRAM tuning.
  4. This fluctuation is occurring on my Desktop, while no game is running.
  5. This causes infrequent computer crashes, resulting in a full system restart and loss of Adrenaline's Manual Configurations

Is this fluctuation normal? I believe this is the culprit for my random full-system crashes that is occurring outside of gaming. I have yet to have any issues whilst gaming. 

VRAM Timings.png

Overlock/Undervolt Settings:

OC-UV Settings.png

I've done many stability tests, all which have not had any issues nor resulted in any crashing.

1. 6.5hr Memtest86, all four loops passed
  2. 12hr Prime95, no errors
  3. 4hr Heaven Stability test, no issues
1 Solution

I was able to resolve this issue. 

I did not realize that, by running Adrenalin (or its metric overlay) on the monitor, it was causing the spikes and Hz fluctuation. 

By enabling overlay detection for games and closing the Adrenalin app, I see normal VRAM usage and no Hz fluctuation. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MrJeriKu
Adept I

Appears I had an issue with my VRAM Clock Speed stayed at 2700.

After doing some research, I was able to fix this by creating a Custom Resolution in Adrenaline with 'CVT - Reduced Blanking' set for the Timing Standard.

Now I do see my VRAM Fluctuate, normally.

I am not sure if this will fix my reported issue or not. 

After further testing, this issue is still occuring.

I've enabled CVT - Reduced Blanking to fix my VRAM issue.

However, when enabling FreeSync, I still see the issue. In the below image, you can see that the VRAM bottoms out when I turn off FreeSync (blue parenthesis is FreeSync on) but constantly fluctuates whilst FreeSync is enabled.

MrJeriKu_0-1712410660662.png

The Monitor's Refresh Rate is still constantly jumping from 97 to 144. 

0 Likes

I was able to resolve this issue. 

I did not realize that, by running Adrenalin (or its metric overlay) on the monitor, it was causing the spikes and Hz fluctuation. 

By enabling overlay detection for games and closing the Adrenalin app, I see normal VRAM usage and no Hz fluctuation. 

Guess that means it is using directx or something, which uses freesync

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

Are you using chill? I noticed the FPS fluctuating with chill enabled so i turned that feature off.

0 Likes

I am not using Chill. I've only enabled FreeSync and Enhanced Sync. 

0 Likes

I'm having issues with the display going black and not coming back on, did notice the same issues with the GPU clock hitting 100% while in idle over and over again. Do you think turning off freesync will help? Maybe GPU clocks bouncing about and black screen crashing is linked? 

0 Likes