Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Martebar
Adept I

FPS drops GPU Spikes and CPU dips with Ryzen 5 5600H and Radeon 6500m

Hello,

I keep getting drops in my frame rate when playing video games after around a minute of playing.

Even though it happens mostly in games, it happened a bit when just browsing the web lately.

Here's a video of the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxqo9ElHgM

My laptop is equipped with a Ryzen 5 5600H and a Radeon RX 6500m, first time with Radeon, I can's say I'm happy.

RAM is 16GB and SDD is 521GB and it runs Windows 11.

BIOS and drivers are up to date, did a clean re-install of drivers using DDU. 

I bought the laptop 6 months ago, it's an HP Victus, the problem came and went once, and it is back again since a few weeks. I can't play game on my gaming laptop.

Here are screenshots of the task manager when drops are happening, you can see spikes in GPU usage and dips in CPU usage:

Martebar_0-1685373232685.pngMartebar_1-1685373237668.png

If anyone has a solution, right now I have a big laptop that doesn't justify its size, weight or price at all, and it's unsellable (who would buy a defective laptop?)

Best,

Martin

8 Replies
Martebar
Adept I

Monitored through AMD Adrenalin, found out the Smartswitch (or whatever is called, it definitely is not smart) was around 55% towards the GPU before the FPS drop, and was at perfect balance after the drop.

Please answer this, I am getting no answer from either AMD or HP "support", this is getting very ridiculous.

0 Likes
Mereum
Journeyman III

HELPPP IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AND MY DEVICE IS ALSO VICTUS BY HP GAMING LAPTOP 15-FBxxx. FIRST THREE MONTHS AFTER BOUGHT THIS LAPTOP IT RUN SO WELL, I PLAYED RDR2 ON HIGH GRAPHICS AND IT WAS SMOOTH AF. NOW EVEN LOW END GAME CANT EVEN RUN SMOOTHLY, DROPPING FPS EVERY SEVERAL SECONDS. ITS SO DISGUSTING. IMAGINE SLUTTERING FPS WHILE PLAYING GENSHIN IMPACT AT **bleep**ING LOW GRAPHICS WTFF

0 Likes
Martebar
Adept I

No help from HP, not help from AMD, I know which brand to avoid in the future...

0 Likes

Alright, reset the laptop back to factory settings, did not work, framerate drops are as bad as before.

HP is not responding, ATI is not responding, both's support are only available at work hours.

I'm left with an unsellable, unrepairable, heavy gaming laptop that I can not use game on.

I can not state how disappointed I am.

Never buying HP or ATI product again.

0 Likes

they replied?

0 Likes
Prawwiin
Journeyman III

Hey guys, i recently purchased victus gaming laptop with 5600h and radeon 6500m, i am facing the same issue with major fps drops after playing for few minutes even on low settings on the games like need for speed Heat. Did you guys find any solution? Please help!

0 Likes
dragcot
Adept I

Also here with the same problem, looking at the graphs I have the theory that it might be power-related so I want to try another charger for the laptop to see if that helps but can't right now so if anyone can try it and it works plz do say so 

0 Likes
dragcot
Adept I

Ok it took a while but I found the answer, the CPU is taking more current from the board than it has so when the GPU and CPU are working everything just starts to lag and hitch badly. So undervolting the CPU made the computer work, I used Universal x86 Tuning Utility and used the balanced preset, and that fixed the problem I will try with other presets but that seems to work.
 I am still very disappointed in HP for making this product and not properly testing it and tuning it but well. 

0 Likes