Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Geno71
Adept III

Forza 7 and 7900XT = Stutter

Hey guys,

Testing my new 7900 XT. All the games I tried run well, including the Last of Us Part 1 with 85-90 relatively smooth FPS (this game has its own stuttering moments, but I believe that's the game itself, it runs smoothly 95% of the time), and Cyberpunk 2077 at around 80FPS with some RT turned on and everything else maxed out, but Forza Motorsport 7, while showing me very high frame rates, stutters once every second. I can watch my FPS drip from 165 to around 75 every 1 second or so, and it makes the game completely unplayable.

I'm pretty sure there's got to be a setting either in a game, or in the Adrenalin for this, but I had no luck so far. Figured I might as well ask in case someone has seen in before.

I tried different resolutions, capped frame rates, VS on or off and all kinds of other in game settings, nothing seem to make any difference.

I'm on the latest driver, 23.4.3, and it's a fresh Windows 11 install.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Geno71
Adept III

Got it fixed. So for the benefit of others, of course, here it is:

After more playing around with different game / GPU / system settings, I found the one that worked. Now my gameplay is buttery smooth at 4K, maxed out, at 120FPS (I limited my monitor to 120Hz because at 165 my idle power consumption is more than doubled at almost 90W, with 120 it stays around 40-45W, and I don't see the difference anyway). I have a 1440p monitor, but the game renders in 4K.

All I did was go into Registry, find and turn off the ULPS (Ultra Low Power State), by doing this:

1. Click Start - Type regedit.exe and hit enter.

2. In reg editor, press F3 and type EnableULPS, hit enter.

3. Double-click the reg entry and change value from 1 to 0.

4. Restart PC.

Such a small, useless thing. But at least it was an easy enough fix. Man, I'm getting too old for this s... I don't mind tinkering, but boy do I wish things just worked as expected out of the box.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Geno71
Adept III

Got it fixed. So for the benefit of others, of course, here it is:

After more playing around with different game / GPU / system settings, I found the one that worked. Now my gameplay is buttery smooth at 4K, maxed out, at 120FPS (I limited my monitor to 120Hz because at 165 my idle power consumption is more than doubled at almost 90W, with 120 it stays around 40-45W, and I don't see the difference anyway). I have a 1440p monitor, but the game renders in 4K.

All I did was go into Registry, find and turn off the ULPS (Ultra Low Power State), by doing this:

1. Click Start - Type regedit.exe and hit enter.

2. In reg editor, press F3 and type EnableULPS, hit enter.

3. Double-click the reg entry and change value from 1 to 0.

4. Restart PC.

Such a small, useless thing. But at least it was an easy enough fix. Man, I'm getting too old for this s... I don't mind tinkering, but boy do I wish things just worked as expected out of the box.