cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

LastExceed
Journeyman III

exclusive fullscreen mode not working for non-dxgi games on windows 11

ever since i switched to win11 a few days ago, all non-dxgi games (so most OpenGL and Vulkan games) refuse to enter exclusive fullscreen mode. they show up in intel's PresentMon as "composed: copy with gpu gdi" as if i set them to borderless window mode instead, and remain affected by desktop composition (eg DWM's global vsync). for reference, when i boot back into my windows 10 installation and run the same games (literally same installation on a secondary HDD) from there, everything works fine, and the games show up as "hardware: legacy flip" in PresentMon as expected.

even stranger, if i unplug and re-plug my monitor, this issue is replaced by another (until i restart my computer):
the window now actually goes into proper exclusive fullscreen (legacy flip), but now the monitor gets clocked down to 60hz instead, even if the game is explicitly set to 240hz. and if i use the windows key instead of alt+tab to go to desktop, it remains that way (i actually have to into windows display settings and set it back to 240 manually).

i've seen the latter problem before on my laptop, but it eventually just went away on its own there (no idea how). the former is new to me and i can't find anything like it online.

i have tried:
- updating GPU driver & windows
- clean re-installing GPU driver (using AMD cleanup utility)
- unplugging other monitors
- using a different display port of the GPU
- disabling window and fullscreen optimizations (just in case. i'm aware they're dxgi exclusive optimizations)
- pressing Ctrl+Win+Shift+B (more info here)
- rebooting after every step

none of it helped. any ideas whats causing this and how to fix it? GPU is 7900xtx (6600m in laptop)

0 Likes
0 Replies