BIOS Version: American Megatrends International

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB

PSU: MSI MPG A650GF Gaming Power Supply - Full Modular - 80 PLUS Gold Certified

Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass Black Spcc Micro ATX

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 10 PRO

GPU Drivers: AMD Software: Pro edition

Chipset Drivers: AMD B550 CHIPSET DRIVERS

Background Applications: DISCORD, Firefox, Steam

Description of Original Problem: frequent and worsening driver timeouts when running any 3d app/game. screen goes black, i get a pop up, the app usually crashes.

Troubleshooting: I've tried messing with mpo and hardware acceleration as well as reinstalling windows. No luck. I've had plenty of other problems with this pc [first pc ever] and just when I think it's all fixed, this happens.

I've been told and read differing things about how to fix this and what it could be, but nobody seems to have an answer for me and I'm super new to the world of pcs [this was a gift from a friend which was nice of them despite the problems] so I'm honestly lost. Last time I tried following some advice it bluescreened and would not shut on until I chose a restore point.

0 Likes
7 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

for starters, make sure your motherboards BIOS is up to date

How are your CPU/GPU temps?

Double check your PSU modular connectors that both sides of the cable are firmly connected

Are you running and cable extenders INSIDE your case?

Do you have the latest AM4 chipset drivers installed from AMD.com?

What cooling are you using on your CPU?

You could try reseating your CPU and check for bent pins

You could try reseating your GPU

What speed is your RAM running at? (Task Manager>Performance>Memory)

Do  you have another power supply you could test with?

Can you try your GPU in another PC?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Checked these and things seem fine. This is my first and only pc and im not using any cooling outside of the fans that came with some of the parts

0 Likes
stigus
Adept I

From what you have described it sounds like the psu is failing, is it possible you can loan one to test?  psu's can be a real pita, test ok then fail when doing nothing, gaming or booting up  

0 Likes

So i was given the pc parts by a friend in another country who also helped with getting the psu switched initially when it was too low wattage. The psu now is a higher wattage and i really only experience graphics driver timeouts when i try to run 3d apps/games. Its a new psu so despite knowibg barely anything about computers i kind of doubt thats the case but i dont really have access to another psu to test

try running the program "who crashed" see if it pinpoints whats happening it will read any crash dumps you already have stored btw     https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

0 Likes
AuldGadgie
Journeyman III

Turn on your monitor first, wait 10 seconds then turn your PC on, I don`t know why but that done the trick for me when I had that problem.

0 Likes
AMD_cire
Challenger

Try 22.11.2 driver. (DDU first of course). Use default, do not undervolt or overclocking.

Do not let your windows update, update your GPU driver.

If still crash, maybe hardware failure.

This PC is new gift present from your friend or not?

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes