Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Cip
Adept II

Driver 23.12.1 - still high idle power draw with 7900XTX

Driver release notes

Fixed issues:

• Improvements to high idle power when using select dual monitor display setups with mixed resolutions and high refresh rate displays (such as 1440p @ 120/144Hz + 1080p @ 120/144Hz or 2160p @ 120/144Hz + 1080p @ 120/144Hz) on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.

I use a G9 Neo 57" at 7680x2160@240hz

When I have a just a browser open, the power draw is still close to 100W.

Cip_0-1703699478396.png

I guess AMD will never fix this

24 Replies
Koyote7667
Challenger

Yerp, if you search in this forum, its still a thing, and STILL not fixed. 95watt at idle here, still. 

Samsung g7 32" and 27" 1440 240hz .  Sh!t is so frustrating they cant figure this out. 

0 Likes
kitastan
Adept II

And what if all is closed (browser etc.)? What power draw is then ?

0 Likes

Still high.
The VRAM clock is at max (2487 MHz) when a browser is used and this sucks more power due to the browser hardware acceleration. 
If the browser is closed, VRAM clock is lower and power usage drops to 75W but as soon as I click around it will jump over 100W. 

0 Likes

"drops to 75"

El oh Fuggin EL.....

0 Likes

95w

Guess the screen shot/Home screen of my dog takes hella power.   AKA at the WINDOWS screen, i pull 95 plus. Have since day one, and through out. Also, opening a browser, shouldnt take 75plus watt mate. lol.. Good hell. 

0 Likes
snipes
Adept I

got this issue as well.

0 Likes

Good god. Ya, no one is gonna read all that. 

Are you talking about black screen issues only? Or both or what?  The majority of us, just want the IDLE POWER , to be at a respectable level. Thats all mate, ...  Jesus.  Seems 99% of that was for black screens. Which i dont have, nor never had. Again, 90watt plus at IDLE, is the issue we are complaining about. 

And again, the "custom" resolution thing, was a thing, 10 months ago. And again, its not up to me to neuter, nor horse around, to get their junk to work. Appreciate the "help" but, that isnt the fix, hell, most of that wasnt even the issue. But thanks.  See you on the 90watt at log in screen, and idle side. 

Thanks, but nothing from that post will help with the idle power issue. 

I have the 7900XTX since it was released. 
This issue has been present from the start and I have tried plenty of thigs so far. 
I am thinking this is a design issue. 

I have tried the custom resolution and the monitor timers thing with my previous monitor, a G9 Neo at 5120x1440. 
I've found out that this fix only works for resolutions lower than this so this step is useless at fake 8K (7680x2160)

The rest of the stuff about the monitor having a DP port with a lower version, trying different DP cables or power supply is also useless for this specific issue about idle power high usage. 

I have the only monitor available now with DP 2.1.

This is the main reason I bought the 7900XTX, just to learn afterwards that AMD GPU is in fact only capable of pushing 48 Gbit/s from the usable 77 Gbit/s bandwidth available with DP 2.1 standard. 
(DP 2.0 is now basically 2.1) 
Still it is enough for 7680x2160 when DSC 3.0 is used. 

Cip_0-1704219500817.png

So I guess the only option is to switch back to Ngreedia when 5090 drops, assuming it comes with DP 2.1 and it does not have potential to start a house fire. 
It seems like that is a lot to ask these days from a 2000 euro GPU  

kitastan
Adept II

AMD stated that only improvements were done to the idle power issue. They have not said it is fixed .....

0 Likes

So, you wont jump down his throat, like you did mine. Got it. 

0 Likes
Cip
Adept II

Good news everyone!

AMD support says that it is normal for these GPUs to have the VRAM clock run at max speed constantly even if the GPU is idle therefore it's fine to have 100W usage when your GPU does nothing. 

AMD support:
I would like to inform you that It is expected that at idle the memory clock of the GPU will run high which in turn means a bit higher idle power usage while using higher display resolution and refresh rate 5120x1440@240Hz.

-------------------

My friend has the same 7900XTX reference model and he is using my old monitor at 5120x1440@240Hz

He has 36W usage at idle and the VRAM clock will fluctuate and be idle at much lower frequency.

I guess he needs to RMA, his GPU is not running according to AMD specs.  

In my case, I can close the browser and all other apps, idle power usage is still 100W and the VRAM clock is constantly at 2487Mhz. 

LMAO, never buying an AMD GPU again. 

0 Likes

For those affected by this perhaps a quick search for Nvidia users also complaining of high idle power consumption when using multiple high resolution/refresh monitors. This will eventually become a non issue as the phenomenon is quite recent with high end monitors becoming more main stream/affordable. So it appears you can have your cake and wash it down with some extra power.

0 Likes

The problem is the VRAM clock.
Why is it always at maximum for some cards from this 7000 series? 

I did not had this issue with my previous 6900XT. 

Surely there is no flaw in the architecture or buggy drivers right ? 

The VRAM clock on my friends 7900XTX will be idle at 900Mhz at 5120x1440@240Hz.
Meanwhile, on my own 7900XTX I can only see a 900Mhz VRAM clock if I drop my resolution to 800x600. 

0 Likes
zeubi
Journeyman III

I had the same issue with my 6700xt, obviously to a lesser degree because it only pull 32w when vram clock is at max but still.

And creating custom resolutions with CVT - Reduced Blanking on all my monitors was enough to fix it.

0 Likes

Ya,.. im not doing that. They just need to fix their **bleep**...... Such a joke, and bad look. 99w at idle here, all day , every day. Such a joke they cant get it sorted. 

0 Likes

I doubt AMD will fix anything. 
Just looking around for all of the problems people post here.
AMD staff is not active here.
This is just a place for us to complain.

I was typing a reply to AMD tech support and I've pressed F11 by mistake. 
App went into full screen mode followed by a black screen. 
GPU driver crash xD
There are a lot of people with black screen issues here, across GPU generations. 
I remember this was an issue even 10 years ago. 

Hopefully Intel will surpass AMD in GPU performance soon. 

Anyway, this is the last GPU for me from AMD. 
I gave my 6900XT to a friend and well he has black screens also, GPU driver just crashes.  

Im kinda with ya. My 4090 rig, has none of these issues. 

Just today, i was gaming, and ended it. Quit to desktop. Both screens go black. About 8 seconds later, both screens pop back up.  Been doing that off and on for 3 weeks. Some days its fine, others it does it every time i leave the game/steam/battlenet. All the while pulling 98w at the windows log in screen/idle.  So choice. So cool. 

S Hi T is so irritating they cant figure it out. Think ill skip amd's next gen cards and go all Nvid

Not to mention, ive got a 3rd build going, with a asrock aqua 7900xtx, msi board blah blah blah. Super stoked to run into the same fugging issues. And I am sure i will. 

EDIT - The card in this rig is a first day launch bought ref card (7900xtx) on a ek water block. Hell i still see high hot spot temps, with 24c water, lol....  Card runs great, when it does. But the little "this and that" issues are getting hella boring, and I am over it. 

Qoojo
Miniboss

I found that HDR drove power higher, but then also found using the "optimal" resolution and refresh for monitor worked to drop power usage again back to normal. This was single monitor too.

Power usage for mixing refresh rates on multiple monitors is an issue for nvidia too.

0 Likes

Same refresh rate monitors here, hell, same make. lol. And no hdr. Would love to use hdr but amd cant figure that out either, sooooo.

(samsung g7's 240hz, one 27" one 32")

Edit- what is "normal" for you wattage wise? what does that mean? Also, my 4090 rig, has ZERO issues running two DIFFERENT displays, running different hz, and resolutions. Odd.....

Also, the "custom" resolution "trick", thats been a thing 3 days after the card launched, is a band aid, not a fix. Not sure what "optimal" resolution even means as mine default to,.. well, 240hz, becuase, well thats what i paid for. Cheers. 

Sh!ts a joke. 

0 Likes

When I used 120hz, power usage was near 100w. When I set desktop to 144hz, it dropped to normal usage range of 25w to 55w depending on what was happening on desktop like steam client or web browser display stuff.

Every monitor has a preferred or default resolution like 1920p, 1440p, 4k, etc...

Doesn't make sense that 120hz would draw more power. I have a 4k monitor. No doubt some bug around monitor timings.

0 Likes
y54n3
Journeyman III

Please read my topic, hope will help you: RX 7900 XTX high idle consumption [FIXED] - AMD Community

Reagrds

0 Likes

Disabling hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling does nothing for my issue. 
I still have 95+W usage on idle. 

0 Likes
Cip
Adept II

Cip_0-1707668976043.png

So I've discovered that Wallpaper Engine app is actually keeping the VRAM clock at max xD.
This adds about 30W usage on idle. 
Without wallpaper engine running constantly in the background, the VRAM clock does drop to 909Mhz on idle which leads to about 66-70W usage on idle.
Having a browser open does not make any difference so I guess this is the lowest power usage I can get on idle at this resolution and 240Hz. 

0 Likes