cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Silent62
Adept I

Docking Station with 2 monitors - no display output (but signal and shown in adrenalin + windows)

Relevant system specs for this issue:

• XFX RX 7900 XT Merc (3x DP, 1x HDMI) - old GPU was Nvidia GTX 970 which ran this setup fine
  • 2x 22" LG monitors (1920x1080@60Hz)
  • Lenovo USB-C docking station
  • Asus Thunderboltex 3

So, my GPU works fine when monitors (1920x1080@60Hz) are plugged into the GPU.

The thing is, all my wiring goes into my docking station which has 2x DP and 1x HDMI output.

My GPU is plugged to a Thunderbolt expansion card which gives out the video signal/display via USB-C. (see screenshot)

Through that connection all my peripherals work EXCEPT the monitors.

I get a signal but they show black screens.

I can see apps run on them when I take a screenshot of all displays, even through RDP/Teamviewer they are running and fine but I physically can't see anything on them.

hardware connections.jpg

Weird thing is when I uninstall all drivers with a DDU and the Microsoft basic display drivers are used (or if I boot in safe mode) I get both monitors working perfectly fine.

This even worked with my old Nvidia GTX 970 perfectly fine.

I figured as much as that if either of these drivers are installed on my system the issue happens:

Driver           : oem12.inf
OriginalFileName : C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0386350.inf_amd64_cf354da277d39d93\u0386350.inf
Inbox            : False
ClassName        : Display
BootCritical     : False
ProviderName     : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Date             : 02.12.2022 00:00:00
Version          : 31.0.14000.58004

Driver           : oem13.inf
OriginalFileName : C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0386403.inf_amd64_13cc2741c7a8dfc9\u0386403.inf
Inbox            : False
ClassName        : Display
BootCritical     : False
ProviderName     : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Date             : 02.12.2022 00:00:00
Version          : 31.0.14000.58004

I tried :

• older and up-to-date drivers
  • low resolution
  • low color depth
  • low refresh rate
  • BIOS reset
  • WHQL drivers installed with test signature
  • different cables (a lot of them)
  • disabling MPO
  • disabling 10bit color

Basically anything I could find for display issues regarding GPUs from the past 3 years that fit my description even remotely.

I can't get this to work and have to re-wire everything after work so I can relax playing games. I fear that with the daily plug-in and plug-out of the DP cables I might harm my DP ports on my GPU.

I currently have 1 monitor plugged into the GPU and 1 monitor on my docking station with keyboard, mouse etc. - this is what adrenalin and windows show me. I can move around windows and apps between both monitors but I can't physically see them on the monitor that is plugged in to the docking station. (only visible virtually like a screenshot or Teamviewer/RDP/VNC etc.)

displays amd windows.jpg

HELP !!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Silent62
Adept I

UPDATE:

After the vendor and AMD support left me hanging with this issue it has been a year since I last tried.

Today I tried the EXACT SAME setup - it works now!

Thanks AMD for fixing the drivers!

I know that this requires time and resources and at no point in time I was asking for an immediate solution.

It just would have been nice to communicate sincerely and honestly.

FINALLY I can use my desktop pc with the least minimum required cables and also am able to switch between work and private PCs just by plugging in the USB-C cable to my docking station!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Silent62
Adept I

*push*

0 Likes
Silent62
Adept I

*push again*

0 Likes

0 Likes
SnowOwlAustin
Journeyman III

*Push Please*

0 Likes
Silent62
Adept I

UPDATE:

After the vendor and AMD support left me hanging with this issue it has been a year since I last tried.

Today I tried the EXACT SAME setup - it works now!

Thanks AMD for fixing the drivers!

I know that this requires time and resources and at no point in time I was asking for an immediate solution.

It just would have been nice to communicate sincerely and honestly.

FINALLY I can use my desktop pc with the least minimum required cables and also am able to switch between work and private PCs just by plugging in the USB-C cable to my docking station!

0 Likes