cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

zimbo3
Adept I

display not working at native resolution amd driver issue

As above, the second monitor has been working fine but after latest windows update it no longer displays at it its native resolution which is 1680 x 1050. Maximum now is 748 x 480 or something useless like that. It is now unusable at this rez as it wont even display the full screen of my application.

What happened then? It appears that the windows update has installed its own display drivers as I was able to change my main monitor back to the samsung driver no probs, it didn't require an issue to fix here it had just changed to the generic driver. Unfortunately, the auxillary monitor in question no longer has drivers available as Vusys no longer exist.

My graphics card 6500XT was updated 30/11/22 and its been fine ever since then but this latest windows update seems to have started the issue. I have tried to reinstall the generic display driver but there is no checkbox to remove the generic driver and when i disable and uninstall it the problem remains.

It actually seems to be the graphics card driver that is causing the issue as when i roll the AMD driver back it works again using this same windows generic display driver. Before the latest windows update though i had no issues at all.

It seems that the latest driver is just not playing well with windows anymore. This is driving me up the wall though. I need the latest graphics card drivers on primary monitor for gaming and I don't want to roll back the driver every time I want to use a second monitor for when I'm using my music software.

Any suggestions on things to try to get this sorted out? Everything works fine it just appears to be this latest driver that is the cause of the problem since the windows 10 update to 21h22. Before this windows update everything was working absolutely fine with no issues, there have been no reports of any problems on microsoft about this update and I have isolated this driver as perhaps being the cause of the problem.

Many thanks, your suggestions are welcome

Rick

0 Likes
1 Solution
2 Replies
zimbo3
Adept I

Hi kingfish, thanks for that. I agree my computer and the internet are two distinct entities. I have an issue with my firewire driver changing and it would seem that this fix would also solve this issue for that too. It is a blatant p*ss take that microsoft keep switching users to drivers they "think" are best for you. If it wasn't for the software I use, I'd have switched to linux entirely a long time ago. FK microsoft!

Thanks again and the TLDR version of the fix is this. Windows updates overwrite your drivers, you can set up a group policy to prevent this happening going forwards in GPEDIT but it does require you manually update your drivers from now on. To fix this issue, you must reinstall the graphics card driver so it overwrites the microsoft one that has no roll back function.