cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

goodfella
Journeyman III

Disable Shared GPU

I have a setup with 5600G on a Gigabyte motherboard(b550m ds3h ac, win 10) and recently attached a discrete card. When I play some goes it is laggy sometimes and later when i checked the task manager i have seen that the shared gpu memory still is in use. For this particular game which in total requires around 2GB of video memory, but 1GB is being utilised from system memory as shared gpu. I have 16GB of system memory and half of it can be utilised as shared gpu memory based on my mobo config i believe. Using shared gpu making my system under memory pressure and discrete gpu as almost useless. How can i disable or reduce shared gpu memory?

What I tried so far,

1. Ensured display connected directly to card
  2. Verified in device manager under display adaptors, only discrete driver showing
  3. Changing graphic option for game executable under graphic settings.
  4. Disabling shared gpu memory in BIOS

Is there anything other than this can be done ? does upgrading to 5600x could be worthy?

0 Likes
12 Replies
FunkZ
Exemplar

In the Gigabyte BIOS under Settings, IO

Set display output to PCIe, integrated graphics disabled

240904000203.jpg

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

I have these two config already as you shown in the pic. Still shared gpu is being used.

0 Likes

If the 5600G IGP is disabled as above, then there is no system memory allocated to it. So swapping that for a 5600X will have no effect.

Up to half of your system memory can be used by the dGPU if the card doesn't have enough dedicated memory. That shows up as shared GPU memory and to my knowledge there is no way to disable that.

FunkZ_1-1725552560769.png

0 Likes

sorry i dont understand the thing with 5600x, as in the documentation says 5600x do not support video output then shared memory still be working like this?

0 Likes

Yes, even without an IGP there will still be system memory "shared" for the GPU to have available.

I have a 5700X which has no IGP, and 32GB of system memory. You can see in my previous screenshot 15.9GB of "shared GPU memory" available for my 7900XT to use.

The shared memory is not "reserved" it is still available for your system or applications to access, it is typically only used by the GPU if the graphics card runs out of dedicated vRAM. If your graphics card has a small amount of dedicated vRAM it will need to use shared system memory, or the game will crash when the card memory is full.

0 Likes

In my case I have 8GB of card memory, but since the shared gpu is being utilised during start up it continuing with it like 50-50.

0 Likes

Certainly! Here's a summary of why GPU memory usage might differ:

1. **Application Demands**: Different apps or games may use varying amounts of GPU memory based on their settings and requirements.

2. **Background Processes**: Other running applications or system processes can affect GPU memory usage.

3. **Driver and Software**: Outdated drivers or software can lead to inefficient memory usage. Ensure everything is updated.

4. **GPU Management**: Memory allocation can differ between shared (system) and dedicated (dGPU) memory. Check your GPU settings.

5. **Hardware Configuration**: Differences in system hardware or settings can influence memory usage.

**Steps to Address the Issue**:
- Check GPU usage with system tools.
- Update GPU drivers.
- Review and adjust application settings.
- Monitor overall system performance.

0 Likes

In BIOS Settings of your Motherboard go to the IGPU setting that involves allocating System RAM from 1 GB to 512Mb or less, if applicable, instead of disabling the iGPU.

Personally I wouldn't disable your IGPU and leave it enabled as a secondary Display port. In case you have problems with your GPU card thus you can use your IGPU as a backup  or in case you want to add a second or third monitor to your PC.

Okay try this and see if you can allocate the minimum amount of System RAM to your IGPU.

Enable your IGPU in BIOS Settings then use "Forces" then go to the setting that allocate System Ram and click on the least amount of System RAM you want allocated to your IGPU.

Screenshot 2024-09-05 151503.png

Reboot, not sure if you will need to connect your Monitor to your motherboard's video output or not to get video output during BIOS.

But if you get video output from your GPU Card still, go back into BIOS and reset your IGPU back to "AUTO" so that your GPU card will the Default Display for your PC.

Then check in Windows Task Manager under IGPU to see what amount of System RAM is allocated to your IGPU. Should be the amount your clicked on in BIOS hopefully and doesn't go back to its "Default" amount of allocated System RAM.

0 Likes

I tried all these still no luck,64MB and 128MB still showing 8GB as shared gpu memory.

0 Likes

Hello. Like people above said. "Share GPU memory" is normal wether you have iGPU or not. Here is my example. I have 32 Gb RAM, 20 Gb dedicated vRAM on dGPU and 512 MB reserved for iGPU and 15.5 GB "Shared GPU Memory". Screenshot from taskmanager below. I am not sure if such a high utilization of shared GPU memory is normal but could be depending on the game and application. Maybe your lag issues are cause by something else. 

Screenshot 2024-09-09 163728.png

see in your case only 100MB using from shared gpu while in my case is 50-50, i dont know what this behaviour when I have 8GB of dGPU available

0 Likes

Some images of 'task manager processes, performance & startup', might help with seeing problem.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes