Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

woodwards031
Journeyman III

Crossfire GPU Question

Hi there,

I’m currently using a R9 380 GPU but have a R9 270X stored away. I’m using a Ryzen 3 1200 alongside.

I was thinking of trading in the 270X for a voucher at CEX to put towards an RX 480 but have no idea when I’ll get the new GPU. My question is, in the meantime would the R9 270X and the R9 380 be Crossfire compatible by default with each other or would I need to create a bridge between the two? I would like the R9 380 to be the master and the 270X, the slave GPU.

My intention is to slowly work my way up to AMD’s latest GPU release but would like to alternate two GPU’s together using Crossfire so when I get the RX 480, the R9 380 will become the new slave with the RX 480 becoming the new master GPU.

Which begs the question, if I do this approach will that create an unnecessary bottleneck between GPU’s and CPU?

Thanks guys!

0 Likes
7 Replies

None of those combinations will work, crossfire required cards from the same model/generation.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

That’s strange as researching into it, it states that R9 cards can be Crossfire’d together if they’re from the same series i.e 200 series or the 300 series but to have 200 series and 300 working together then a bridge must be applied. My understanding of that is that a card from the 200 series (270X) and a card from the 300 series (380) must be bridged if Crossfire is to work, or have I completely misinterpreted that?

0 Likes

Too far back for me to remember all the details, some 300 series were refresh of 200?, that may have worked.

But you wouldn't use a lower spec card because the primary can't utilize more than what the lower card is capable of, and possibly nerfing the primary.

And of course no gain in vram, fixed to primary.

For a more definitive answer, try asking on an OC'ers forum (e.g. overclock.net).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
woodwards031
Journeyman III

Well, that’s not the answer I was expecting and hoping for but I appreciate your help!

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

As far as I know, crossfire can have different models but they need to be in the same architecture generation.

R9 380 is an older GCN and RX480 is the latest gen of GCN.

A R9 380 will crossfire with a R9 280 the same way a RX480 will crossfire with a RX580.
Like goodplay said, the 300 was a refresh of the 200, that's why it works..

But I wouldn't waste any time and money on this, if you are incredibly low on cash just get a RDNA card like the RX5600XT, they go very cheap on the used market. Later on get a R5 3600 non X if your board supports it.

It should be a night and day difference to your current system but won't cut it for nowadays games....

At least you get FSR available on that GPU!

The Englishman
0 Likes
woodwards031
Journeyman III

Thank you. Unfortunately, my current circumstances dictate that I’ll have to trade my way up and I don’t see them changing anytime soon. If it was up to me, I’d be saving for a 3080 or a 3090. 

In terms of any CPU/GPU bottlenecks, should I wary any? Or is the GPU’s that old that they won’t be influencing performance. My friend did said that on a single GPU I should be alright up and until the 1000 series. However, this is the same friend who thinks that GPU’s dictate performance on CPU based games which run DX9. So, I’m taking his advice with a pinch of salt. Me personally, I’m not entirely fussed as most of the game I play are CPU based games and run perfectly fine, granted I will have to update the CPU at some point but I’d rather wait until this Ryzen 3 is close to dying and buy a brand new Ryzen 9 or Ryzen Threadripper if it’s even the norm by then. But, I like see the shading, lighting, texture details, etc. improve as each card goes in. 

0 Likes

If you circumstances are that tight, no time being picky with bottlenecks.

Get what you can and works.

The Englishman
0 Likes