cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

AM04
Journeyman III

Constant crashing with 7800XT, Multiple games...

Good day everyone, Been having a extremely frustrating experience with my new 7800XT...

Purchased my 7800xt steel legend brand new 9/20/2023, Since day 1 i've had issues with crashing.

In various games such as but not limited to: BeamNG.Drive, Red Dead Redemption 2, GTA 5, Fortnite, Valorant, The hunter call of the wild, Midnight ghost hunt, And more.

I am very inconsistently crashing in the games stated above, Typically with "ERR_GFX_STATE", By inconsistently i mean as in Very random durations.

Every time a game crashes, Other apps will crash sometimes too, Including discord and AMD Adrenalin, More often than not.

Sometimes it will happen less than 5 minutes after launching, Sometimes 30 minutes, Sometimes a hour, And even lasted 2 hours once.

Here's what i've done to attempt to fix it with (obviously as im making this post) no prevail:

Update drivers on AMD Adrenalin to current (23.9.3).
update bios to the latest version for my motherboard (X570 steel legend).
Replace my 750W PSU with a 1000W.
Attempt to tolerate minimum graphics settings in a few of the games stated above (did not fix it).
Disable various upscaling settings and such in games.
Poke around with the features in AMD Adrenalin (including disabling everything).

(specifications/misc info)

Only running one single 1080p 240hz monitor

Please reply with any Questions/Insults/Potential fixes.

Ryzen 5 5600
Asrock Steel legend X570
Asrock Steel legend 7800XT
Corsair H150I
EVGA Supernova 1000W Platinum
T-Force delta 64GB 3600mhz (4X16)
2X Crucial P3 2TB 
Antec P120 crystal

19 Replies

First have to say i feel sorry for you, i can feel your pain. Lets go brainstorm and see what we can do to help.

I have a similar systems like x570 (elite), 5800x and gigabyte 7800xt.

To begin can you please tell me:

1) what OS are you running?

2) which brand/model gpu you have? (exact EAN or productnumber would be nice)

Hi I have the same issue as the OP. My computer hard restarts about 5 to 10 minutes (sometimes it does not crash for a much longer duration 2+ Hours) into any game since getting the 7800xt a week ago. I have not been able to find any fix and running out of hope. I am guessing you have a stable build. My PC specs are below:

MB: x570 Aorus Elite Ver f37a
Ram: 32GB DDR4 3200mhz Gskill (4x8gb)
Processor: 5800x3d (Also upgraded at the same time)
GPU: 7800xt Sapphire 21330-01-20G
PSU: Cooler Master 750w (80 Plus Bronze)
GPU Driver: Adrenalin 23.9.3

Really hoping there is a fix for this, I don't want to swap this for a RTX4070 but may have to for the sake of stability. Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Are you using multiple displays? If so, are they DisplayPort or HDMI?

0 Likes

Hi I am not. I just have a Dell 27" 1440p 144hz monitor hooked up via DP.

Its worth noting the issue only seems to happen after a cold boot on any game I open up. The game will crash within the first 10 minutes and cause the system to restart (kernal power error 41). However once the restart is done the system does not ever crash again no matter how long I play any game, until the next prolonged cold start that is. It's the weirdest issue I have ever seen.

I got the exact same issue. Also first game on boot it crashes. Afterwards i can game as long as i want. Very peculiar

I found someone on reddit who said chaging their windows Refresh rate to 120hz did the trick. Will try it though I doubt it will work.

0 Likes

I'm running 75hz.  getting over 100FPS and have enhanced sync on and Freesyn on Optimised.

0 Likes

Can't wait for someone to find a solution.  Also sitting with the same issues.  I also have a 5800x3d & XFX 7800xt MERC.

ginfish
Adept I

Did you ever find a fix for your constant crashing?

BraveKiwi
Adept III

Are you getting crashes to the desktop or is your system completely restarting? Are you using multiple displays? If so, are they DP or HDMI?

Getting a similar issue to OP now. It's crashing to desktop, I do use multiple displays and one is HDMI, the other is DP.

0 Likes
kyton
Adept III

so I have been checking my boost clock after every reboot or power-up. it is never the same. It should be 2565Mhz.   Booted now it was 2555mhz. went into GPU Tuning and the frequency showed as 100%, then I selected advanced and it jumped to 2590mhz. The GPU tuning control is broken and causing the issues as when it reboots we could actually be over our max stock mhz without any voltage increase, etc. Rebooted now and it shows 2555mhz then open Adrenaline to the tuning page, and without changing anything it dropped default down to 2545mhz.

Yeah I suspect it has something to do with the power draw going wack for a breif moment. Though it seems software related as the GPU performance is perfect before and after the first crash. 

Angeluk
Challenger

I had exactly the same problem with my 7900 XT. Then i switched to Nividi and now I have exactly the same problem with my 3080 TI 12GB OC, all games are crashing, PC works just fine otherwise. Honestly i cant stand these people!!! THE GPU is the most expensive component in a PC build, and in the same time is causing most of the problems!!!! Disgusting!!! They make pc components for over 30 years and cant make a single GPU!!!!

0 Likes

try uninstalling kb5031354  -  Win 11 Oct 23 update,  Known issue causing games to crash.

I am on W10

DipakJ27
Adept III

Here are a few other things you can try:

1. Underclock your GPU. 
  2. This may seem counterintuitive, but sometimes overclocking can make your GPU unstable and lead to crashes. 
  3. Try reducing the clock speed by 5-10% and see if that helps.
  4. Increase the voltage to your GPU.
  5. This can also help to improve stability, but it's important to do it carefully, as too much voltage can damage your GPU. 
  6. Try increasing the voltage by 5-10mV at a time and see if it helps.
  7. Use a different version of the AMD Adrenalin drivers. 
  8. It's possible that there's a bug in the current version of the drivers that's causing the crashes. 
  9. Try installing an older version of the drivers and see if that fixes the problem.
  10. Check your temperatures. 
  11. Make sure that your GPU is not getting too hot. 
  12. If it is, try improving the airflow in your case or adding a more powerful CPU cooler.
  13. Contact AMD support. 
  14. If you've tried all of the above and you're still having problems, then it may be time to contact AMD support for help.

Here are some additional tips:

• Try running the games in a window instead of full screen.
  • Disable any overlays that you're using, such as MSI Afterburner or FRAPS.
  • Make sure that your Windows operating system is up to date.
  • Try running the games in compatibility mode for Windows 10 or Windows 8.

If you've tried all of the above and you're still having problems, then it's possible that there's a hardware defect with your GPU. If this is the case, then you may need to RMA your card or replace it altogether.

I hope this helps!

Dipakjadhav

The issue is not with GPU stability, otherwise what you said makes perfect sense

Thanks for the suggestions! A few questions: 

How would I go about undercloking my GPU, many people have mentioned the Adrenalin software is bugged and does not actually adjust clock speeds or voltage despite changing settings, is there another more reliable way?

GPU tems are very good thanks to my PC airflow, rarely go above 75c even when playing deamding titles such as Remaent 2 for proglong periods. My CPU is AIO cooled with temps well within safe ranges. 

I have reported the issue to AMD, sadly Adrenalin does not even log the issue so I am just blind reporting the issue to AMD. 

0 Likes